UKC

North of England Campsite Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 06 Oct 2020

Hoping to be able to do a week or so dotting about Northern England (Northumberland and Yorkshire probably) in my October Hol.

Planning to cycle, run and also do some climbing. For the climbing I'd be soloing so looking at smaller crags with lots of routes up to VS/HVS. Easy bouldering would work too but nothing that needs a pad as I won't have one.

We've done this kind of trip a few times and have our regular haunts like Masham, Malham, Austwick Swaledale and Dent (not so handy for the climbing those last 2) so are looking for a few new ideas.

Has anyone got recommendations for nice campsites that are likely to be open and would allow us to access that kind of stuff? This assuming that Wee Nicola will let me go...

Cheers.

Post edited at 20:52
 Herdwickmatt 06 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

If Barrowburn past Alwinton is open then I'd recommend there for a very back to basics approach. It got some lovely moorland/fell running but can be super bleak if the weather is in. The Cheviots are good if boggy running. 

Further south, Rothbury has Simonside crags for running and climbing, you could also get to Thrunton  to run/climb/mountain bike.

There's a site right on the coast by Bamburgh which has always looked gorgeous, not too far from Bowden and the sandstone crags that way, but again if the weather is in the north east coast will be bleak (and amazing and beautiful and wonderous).

Essentially come to Northumberland, it's amazing. I love it and it deserves much more popularity, but I'm glad it doesn't get it. 

Edit: just be aware of current restrictions which if you are solo won't really make any difference!

Post edited at 20:57
 spenser 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

All good advice. Couple of bits to add:

Butchers in Bamburgh does fabulous sausages, get some.

Simonside parking is closed for a while due to forestry operations.

The Salmon in Belford has a fabulous range of beer.

Twice brewed campsite is good for access to part of Hadrian's wall and the biking on the moors SW of Hexham.

Yorkshire wise Manor House Farm is a great campsite for access to Brimham.

Herdwickmatt 07 Oct 2020
In reply to spenser:

Is lordenshaws closed as well? 

spenser 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Not a scooby, sorry. This is the information about Simonside:

https://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/places-to-visit/coquetdale/si...

I'm not going to be visiting the area imminently anyway as I live down in Derby these days, just thought it was worth pointing out if Dave was going to base himself in Rothbury.

graeme jackson 07 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

If it's open, Highburn house campsite in wooler has great facilities and is close enough to town to walk in for a bar meal / drink.  Corby's is close and offers loads of low grade shorter routes with a 20 yard walk in. Not too far to Bowden from wooler either.  Great walking and running in the cheviots.

Lordenshaws car park is currently open

p.s. Nicola had better let us out next week - I'm going to Grasmere.

Herdwickmatt 07 Oct 2020
In reply to spenser:

Ah ok, I think lordenshaws must still be open judging by that. 
To the op: lordenshaws is the car park at the sort of end of the ridge line before dropping into Rothbury. It’s a nice run from there out to Great Tosson hill, where it is customary to stand starkers on the trig point!

OP DaveHK 07 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers folks, a few things to think about, certainly a few campsites we've not been to.

stewart murray 07 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:Have you thought about North York Moors? The climbing at Scugdale, Wainstones and Park Nab fits what you’re after plus the mountain biking and road cycling are great.

OP DaveHK 09 Oct 2020
In reply to stewart murray:

We were there a couple of years ago and liked it but weren't planning to go there this time. Had a great day at Scugdale but Wainstones was minging with condensation when I went.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...