UKC

Porthcawl. Climbing with a 4 yr old.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john spence 25 Jul 2020

Visiting Porthcawl next week for the first time. Need a safe, slabby area to set up a top rope for a spot of fun with my grandson. Any suggestions please. 

Xavierpercy 25 Jul 2020
In reply to john spence:

Box Bay is quite a good spot

Roger Martin 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Xavierpercy:

Three Cliifs Bay at Gower. There are a couple of short Moderates at the left end of the crag above a beautiful sandy beach. They are called Left Crack and Right Crack 1. Lower back down.

OP john spence 26 Jul 2020
In reply to john spence:Thanks guys, I will check out Box bay, never been there. I’m familiar with Gower, May head to Three Cliffs and Pobbles Bay Area. Grandsons only just 4 but keen to give it a try. Five months of lockdown and 70 yrs old I know who’s going to struggle most 😂

Jamie Wakeham 26 Jul 2020
In reply to john spence:

Three Cliffs or Pobbles will probably be more appropriate for a four-year-old if you can get there - the easiest climbs are very slabby and user-friendly, as you know. 

If you're actually in Porthcawl, you may as well give Box Bay a try. It's a lovely little crag and I really like it!  The only thing is, on the main wall, the first two metres are actually a bit blank so he might struggle to get off the ground!

If he's happy about being lowered, you might actually get on better by lowering him halfway down some of the easiest routes and having him climb back up to you.  Or have a look around - there are lots of smaller walls that might suit. It's all a bit steep and fingery but often young children excel on that sort of ground...

Post edited at 17:41
 AndyRoss 26 Jul 2020
In reply to john spence:

Definitely go for an explore around Box Bay - you should find something suitable even if it's not a listed route. If you're standing on top of the main face, looking at the sea, there's some potential options in a wide gully over on the right-hand side I think. It's a while since I've been, so that could be wrong. But there's definitely options around.

OP john spence 04 Aug 2020
In reply to john spence:

Opted for Box Bay today, well worth a visit and found plenty to do. Little one had a great morning, thanks for all recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...