UKC

Pyrenees recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 23 Mar 2024

We're heading to the Pyrenees in our van this summer and looking for 2 or three good bases for a week or so in each. My wife doesn't climb so we'll mainly be running/walking and cycling but I'd like to do some quality single pitch sport climbing too. 

Where should we be looking at?

Ta.

oureed2 23 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I've been to the Bielsa area in Spain in August. Plenty of steep limestone and conditions were good in the shade. It's a couple of hours north of Rodellar by car. Also close to Ordessa which has great hiking. 

OP DaveHK 23 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Should have said, looking for crags with lots in the 6b-7b range.

OP DaveHK 23 Mar 2024
In reply to oureed2:

Thanks.

65 23 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Ariege for walking and cragging. Tons of crags and brilliant day walks in the Cerdgane area. If you are anywhere near Andorra don't use your phone, we texted each other last year while still in France but on the Andorra network and all got stung about €10 per text. John Arran of this parish will be the font of knowledge in this area.

Cauterets is really good for walking though you need to drive up to Post d'Espagne and then save time by getting a gondola up to the start of the walks, but this gives you access to the staggeringly beautiful Marcadau and Gaube valleys, the latter of which will land you under the north face the Vignemale in a couple of hours. There are several campsites at Cauterets, I always go to La Peguerre, Laurence who owns it has a certain manner about her but she is very friendly and helpful and the campsite is the best in the area. Cauterets the town is nice enough but a bit sleepy at night, somewhat lacking in restaurants but there are a couple.

In the same neck of the woods is Luz St-Saveur, you could get up to Gavarnie from there for cragging but that's more mountain than sport plus it gets very busy. You could base yourself in Argeles-Gazost from where you can drive to either Gavarnie area or to Cauterets but the campsite has become a huge expensive monstrosity with a bar doing karaoke and millions of kids running around. 

Luchon is good if want somewhere with a proper town feel. It's fine for day walks if you don't mind a bit of a drive to and from them each day, I've no idea about cragging. I always stay at Camping Pradelongue at Moustajon, about 2km from the town centre. It's quiet and well appointed and the owners are nice. Right next to a big Intermarché too.

Feel free to PM me nearer the time if you're after any specific info.

Post edited at 11:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...