UKC

Remote working in Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Birks 20 Feb 2024

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice with remote working in Kalymnos? Any issues?

Looking at doing a few days of laptop based work whilst out there, so will need good wifi.

Any cafe recommendations etc and is wifi in apartments typically good enough?

Thanks in advance, Luke

mutt 20 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

sounds like an excellent plan - good luck

Iamgregp 20 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

I haven’t done it, but I have friends who have spent weeks out there working remotely and climbing. Wi-Fi was plenty good enough in their apartments (one of them is a programmer) so no issues there.

Best tip I’ve heard is to get up early, go to a crag with a short approach, then if you’re back at your desk working by midday, that’s 10am U.K. time so you can climb and work full time still.

Not for me mind. Can’t stand getting up early!

In reply to Birks:

Yea man - done it for years, was out there for a month last season and worked every rest day and some mornings/afternoons...

Ambience bar has good wifi and is a nice spot to work - tbh most places I went did really. Stayed in loads of different appartments over the years and never had a problem doing Google Meet/Teams/Zoom calls or downloading stuff etc.

Doing a work call when you're at the Supermario bar while the sun goes down after a days climbing some of the best routes on the planet knowing that once you get offline you'll be despatching an ice cold Mythos and going for a dip is pretty sweet.

Enjoy!

BruceM 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

Unless you have an EU passport, it is illegal. The 90/180 thing is for purposes of tourism etc. not working.

There is the argument about who would know. But your employer or clients might not be impressed with illegal practices.

But maybe in your case that doesn't apply. Just the majority of us unlucky UKers.

GrahamD 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

I would guess it depends what you need by way of bandwidth and availability.

m4doyle 21 Feb 2024
In reply to BruceM:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

OP Birks 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

Thanks for all the responses!

sandrow 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Birks:

Check that your employer / clients don't block access to email,  etc. for users connecting from outside the UK without prior notice. It's fairly common.

Enjoy!

Iamgregp 21 Feb 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Not if it's a temporary arrangement. 

If it's longer term that would have tax implications, a few days remote working work whilst you're abroad on holiday is not illegal. 

Dave Cundy 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Quite.  I don't suppose the Prime Minister applies for a work visa when he goes to Davos.

In reply to Dave Cundy:

> Quite.  I don't suppose the Prime Minister applies for a work visa when he goes to Davos.

you could well be correct, but recent history shows us that it's not always wise to use the behaviour of our prime minister to judge the legality of certain acts. 

HeMa 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave Cundy:

That would be different… as it is a work trip for him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...