UKC

Sheigra campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 25 May 2023

Does anyone know if the Sheigra campsite is currently open? I'm sure I'd read somewhere that it had been closed temporarily but I have no idea where I saw it or whether that's right.

In reply to climbingpixie:

Stayed there a couple weeks ago. It's still a thing. Never saw how it used to be but I think the only change is you now can't drive any further than the cemetery.

No campervans is what I heard, which ties in with the other poster. 

OP climbingpixie 26 May 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Thanks! Can you park by the cemetery ok then? I thought it was frowned on.

Ciro 26 May 2023
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> No campervans is what I heard, which ties in with the other poster. 

That's a real shame. Probably understandable though, last time I was there people were driving half way up the hill to park with a view instead of parking in the field, and damaging the grass in the process 

Robert Durran 26 May 2023
In reply to Ciro:

> That's a real shame.

Yes, feels like another nail in the coffin.

smally 26 May 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

On the other hand, a walk in camp site with no campervans/motorhomes spoiling the view sounds rather nice. 

In reply to smally:

> On the other hand, a walk in camp site with no campervans/motorhomes spoiling the view sounds rather nice. 

In some ways, but the faff of endless carrying stuff back and forward might not make it worth the strain. 

Probably a necessary change but another degradation due to too many people.

smally 26 May 2023

But your rucksack is huge, surely one trip would suffice!

Anyway, there are just more people about now, and thankfully it seems the Grazings Committee has solved the overuse issue in a very fair minded way, not just gone for an outright ban. 

In reply to smally:

> But your rucksack is huge, surely one trip would suffice!

But that 100 litre sack is just for the climbing day. What about all my food boxes, camping stuff, guidebook library etc. etc.

I suspect I'll end up just dossing at the cemetery, or if that is not allowed, just putting a tent up to sleep in by the beach and doing everything else at the cemetery.

> Anyway, there are just more people about now, and thankfully it seems the Grazings Committee has solved the overuse issue in a very fair minded way, not just gone for an outright ban. 

Yes, that is true. I'm just nostalgic for the good old days when hardly anyone knew about it.

scragrock 26 May 2023

I was up in that area recently {i get a cottage in Polin every year} and went to the Promontory for a boulder. 

The Campsite gates are closed and for good reason, last year the machair was in a terrible state, every stone hid a human crap with bog roll everywhere. firerings burned into the grass and gouged out tyre marks abound.

we parked at the cemetary and walked passed the beach and were chuffed to see that things are recovering nicely. 

There was a couple with a tent pitched{obviously parked at the cemetary}, it is not clear if this is allowed or not, i suspect its vague to keep things quiet. 

After a few seasons chatting with locals my advice would be- if you choose too, Camp more considerately than you ever have, prove to the locals that as a community we can be trusted with this gem of a place rather than trashing it and moving on.

• be extra nice
  • Do not have fires on the grass
  • Do not crap anywhere near the campsite{there is a public toilet at the carpark for Sandwood bay}
 GrahamD 26 May 2023

My overriding memory of Sheigra were the absolute lungs full of midges.

> Thanks! Can you park by the cemetery ok then? I thought it was frowned on.

Oh, not sure. We did. There was no indication that it was bad. Would be a long walk to the crag if you can't. 

There was also a field just up the road with space for 5 caravans and honesty box. Not sure how they feel about van vans but someone might want to investigate.

In reply to smally:

> On the other hand, a walk in camp site with no campervans/motorhomes spoiling the view sounds rather nice. 

Yes, it was. Every other lay-by, viewpoint and campsite had a van in the prime position to get the best view and ruin everyone else's. Was a nice for a change. 

> I suspect I'll end up just dossing at the cemetery, or if that is not allowed, just putting a tent up to sleep in by the beach and doing everything else at the cemetery.

You can more easily do everything else up at the car park with facilities a mile back up the road. We only carried to the beach a bottle of something nice and what we needed to sleep.

> You can more easily do everything else up at the car park with facilities a mile back up the road. We only carried to the beach a bottle of something nice and what we needed to sleep.

That Sandwood bay carpark now seems to get overrun with people doing a sort of "fairy pools" thing (at least it keeps them all in one place and its still easy enough to find a beach to yourself). I'd rather park/doss at the cemetery with my own shitter.

Siward 26 May 2023
In reply to scragrock:

It's so depressing but pressure of numbers (given it's the most beautiful place in the world) is only going to increase. It has to be time for some facilities, some enforcement, banning the NC500 even though I hate the idea (well, not the last one).

Cheers. We'd be in a car and a tent if we end up there so no worries about van parking.

In reply to scragrock:

That's awful to hear. I stayed there very briefly this time last year and it was fine so I guess the damage happened over the summer. Some people really are absolute scumbags with no appreciation of their environment.

Fwiw we're very low impact, no fires or loud music or other bellendery. Just dossing in the tent for a night or two, using the localish public loos and taking all our waste home - pretty much how I'd expect anyone to treat the place!

Post edited at 19:53

> That's awful to hear. I stayed there very briefly this time last year and it was fine so I guess the damage happened over the summer. Some people really are absolute scumbags with no appreciation of their environment.

Yes, I was there this time of year two years ago. It was pretty much paradise and not really busy. Things seem to have gone down hill quickly. It is really sad.

> Cheers. We'd be in a car and a tent if we end up there so no worries about van parking.

Yeah that's how we were. We pitched fairly late, packed up fairly early, tried not to do anything that would offend anyone and the locals walking dogs exchanged good mornings as if we'd succeeded. There was one other small tent there, similarly not upsetting anyone. 

Did not the rot - or the lid get nails shut and the rot set in when John Muir got his hands an the sandalwood estate??

it was for me sad face ☹️ 

> Yes, feels like another nail in the coffin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...