UKC

Siurana or chullila April??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack_44 01 Jan 2020

Hi folks, 

Going to be in Spain for the duration of April and into early May, sport climbing. Wondering if I could tap in to the collective knowledge of UKC to advise on where would be best at this time of year. Thinking lower temperatures/more shady options. Will likely fly and drive and stay in a cheap airbnb and/or camp. Mostly climb in the 7's too.

snoop6060 02 Jan 2020
In reply to jack_44: l

Both will be unbearable in the sun and probably just about climbable in the shade.  Suirana is full of sharp crimps so I doubt my skin would last a weekend if the air temps are high which they will be. So just based on that I'd say chullila . It's only 3 or 4 hours between them tho isn't it? Just move if it's grim. 

Ian Patterson 02 Jan 2020
In reply to snoop6060:

>  Both will be unbearable in the sun and probably just about climbable in the shade.  Suirana is full of sharp crimps so I doubt my skin would last a weekend if the air temps are high which they will be. So just based on that I'd say chullila . It's only 3 or 4 hours between them tho isn't it? Just move if it's grim. 

Siurana is fair bit further north and in the mountains (Siurana and Arboli are both at around 1000m).  I've been a number of times in April (early and mid/late), max temps have usually been in high teens to low 20s.  Often a bit hot for climbing in the sun but there's some really good shady options and conditions in the shade have often been excellent (and post crag beer drinking conditions in the sun are also good).   Margalef (40 mins drive) also has some excellent shady cliffs. I'll be back to SIurana this April for a week from 18th.

Never been to Chuilla so can't compare it as late spring option.  

Charlie Low 06 Jan 2020
In reply to jack_44:

We usually go to Siurana in April and it's perfect, usually not too hot and if it is a bit warmer there's plenty of places to climb in the shade. This year we were there in the 2nd half of April and it was only about 12 degrees and much colder than back in the UK! 

Only been to Chulilla in October which was way too hot, but not sure if it would be as warm as that in April or not. I think the thing Siurana has which keeps it a bit cooler is quite a bit of altitude.

Giles Davis 06 Jan 2020
In reply to jack_44:

We went to Siurana in April in 2012 (I think) and it was snowing! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...