UKC

Skye walking/scrambling/climbing/camping with dog... recommendations p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 red.stiletto 08 May 2021

Planning a trip to Skye with van and dog and want to make the best use of the time... what would be your top recommendations for:

1. Walks/peaks with the dog

2. Scrambles within easy reach of campsites (so dog can stay in the van)

3. Easy grade routes accessible for the dog

4. Good dog friendly campsites near the hills or the sea

Bonus points for lovely swimming and kayaking spots!

Thanks in advance!

SouthernSteve 08 May 2021
In reply to red.stiletto:

At the risk of being called a grumpy old fart, I would not take a dog to Skye if I was wanting to do anything on the Black Cuillin. I would choose a different venue for a dog-friendly mountain trip. 

Post edited at 10:18
 jdh90 08 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I would be concerned about the gabbro being too ruff for paws.

Trangia 08 May 2021
In reply to jdh90:

> I would be concerned about the gabbro being too ruff for paws.

Plus 1. It's very abrasive. I've had very sore fingers after a day's climbing or scrambling there.

Post edited at 11:11
OP red.stiletto 08 May 2021

Ok thanks! Looks like we might have to either visit and stick to the edges and just enjoy the views or try some other places in Scotland. 

A few people have said that Blaven could be done with a dog?

SouthernSteve 08 May 2021

Blaven can be done with a dog, but not via Clac Glas which is a really good day out. 

Flinticus 08 May 2021

Bruach na Frithe. Done with my collie.

Also Belig and Garbh Bheinn. A brilliant walk. 

Glamaig.

Then the usual suspects in Trotternish if not too busy around The Storr nowadays.

Lankyman 08 May 2021

Lots of great places to go Cullins apart. I've only ever been there once and only spent one day on the Ridge in the week. As said above, Storr is great and Quirang. Lots of great coastal walking - might want to keep Fido on a lead by some of the drops? Spar Cave is interesting but watch the tides and you'll need a torch. There aren't any drops so Fido should be OK. There's also the ferry over to Glenelg and the Gavin Maxwell place Camusfearna is nice - little bays and rocks as well as the otter memorial.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...