UKC

Slovenia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petre 21 Dec 2019

Anybody ice climbed in Slovenia and if so is early January too early and what's it like for easier grades? 

Kind regards Petre

Jeff Ingman 21 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Hi Petre,

I've been ice climbing in Slovenia a few times and really enjoyed what the Alpine valleys have to offer. Early January should be OK, I've been once at that time and it was very cold and snowy (ski approach to the routes). End of January and into February is probably better from my experience.

The area is susceptible to warm thaws from the south, but if you have transport you can just drive west into the Dolomites and find higher starting routes around, say Colfosco. That drive is about 2hrs from Kranjska Gora.

Climbing is like a national sport in Slovenia, and the grading is tough IMO. I didn't do any routes lower than grade IV but there are plenty for you to go at. The local climbers are friendly and helpful, and mostly very, very good.

Hope you enjoy it.......Jeff

tjekel 21 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Currently, we had a series of of warm weeks... Lower areas will be reasonably ice free, and it will take some time for ice to build. Thus plan on alternatives like easier alpine style ridge routes (mixed / snow, there has been quite a lot of snow in the higher reaches), and / or take sport climbing equipment for some leisurely bolt clipping in Osp / Misja Pec / Crni Kal / Trieste. Except for continous rain this should have you covered for a good trip. 

summo 21 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Would agree, cross ski sprints world cup events are on there now and they are skiing on snow trucked in from higher altitudes. Valley bottom is bare. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...