UKC

Slovenia advice please, family holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samt 18 Jun 2018

Thinking of heading to Slovenia last week of July, first week of August with the kids (10 and 12). 

Background - went there pre kids in Sept 2004 (I think) and had a fantastic 2 weeks - Soca rafting, summit of Triglav, gorge walks, waterfalls, canyoning trip, Bled, Lake Bohinj,  stayed at Laze and did the tourist caving trips and the Idrija mercury mines. So we're quite familiar with whats available.  

Want to go back again with kids but realise last week of July/first in Aug might be peak season.  

Same happened last year with Corsica, been before out of season for our honeymoon, but went last summer in August and holiday was marred by everywhere being totally jam packed and over crowded. Not to mention too hot (35 at night in a tent is not my cup of tea). 

Question is, is it going to be the same for Slovenia, and if so, where to avoid and are there some slightly quieter areas to get away from the hoards. 

Tick lists would be Via Ferrata (done a few in France with the kids). Rafting, canyoning. Potentially a night in a refugio on Triglav somewhere. (expect these are fully booked all the time). 
Maybe some tourist caves in Postojna, and maybe a guided 'wild' trip if they're easy enough to organise. 

Will be camping. 

Thinking of flying to Venice and driving in, as it seems easier/cheaper than flying to Ljubljana/Trieste. 

Any advice welcomed.

mishabruml 19 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

we went in september and has a great time. it was very quiet but still warm enough to climb shorts and t shirt. kredarici hut at the top of triglav was off-season and semi-shut but the meteorologists living there take care of you instead (we got a bed and some food). unfortunately the summit scramble was iced up and we hadn't packed any winter kit so we left it for another trip

stayed at a very nice campsite called Camp Zlatorog Bohinj would be great for kids. its right on the lake but down the quiet far end. it has a cool bar/restaurant/reception area, pizzas and beers etc (was already closed for winter when we were there though).

Everywhere seemed totally geared up for a pretty heaving summer I'd say- loads of tourist-based facilities. it felt ghost town when we were there and Im pretty sure we spoke to people who said we had "missed the rush". So yeah, I think July/August will be very busy unfortunately mate

OP samt 19 Jun 2018
In reply to mishabruml:

Yeah, I think we stayed at that same place down the bottom of the lake in 2004.  I think we're still going to go for it and scarper to some of the more off the beaten track places in slov in the SE if its too busy. 

Wondering how kid friendly the Via Ferrata are. They look at bit 'alpine' compared to some of the newer/shorter french stuff. 

d_b 19 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

There is an almost roadside VF in Mojstrana with easy and hard options.  Good for teaching or killing an hour or two.  I'm told there are some low level ones in the SE as well but I don't know the details.

george570 19 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

My Girlfriend and I went in early April this year and it was very quiet indeed. One place we turned up at a campsite and surprised the owners as they weren't expecting anyone for ages - we were the first of the "season".

Wild camping isn't legal in Slovenia and my missus wasn't adventurous enough to risk it so we hired a campervan (Rikli, the red one) from https://www.vanvoyage.com/ and it was incredible. Great freedom with it and this website (http://www.camperstop.si/en/) lists roadside locations where you can stay for free/cheap and what facilities they have.

One downside with the vans is that they're big and colourful so you may not get away with wild camping, especially in Triglav National Park where they fine and turf you out. 

I wish I can give you some more advice about good places to go but it was too cold to do any rafting etc, besides it was out of season. I briefly visited a campsite called Kamp Koren (on the So?a river, close to Kobarid) and it looked great - lots of organised on and off site activities. Theres also a shortish walk along the So?a river with a rope bridge, through a some sort of fort and along a stream to the Kozjak waterfalls. Kids would love it if you're in the area!

Enjoy - I'm desperate to go back!

alexcollins123 19 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

I went with my partner in July 2016 and we had an amazing time.  We flew in to Ljubljana and hired a car.  Spent a few nights at Camping Zlatorog on Lake Bohinj (good walking around there, and the lake is stunning.  Only a few miles from Lake Bled, which will be jam-packed that time of year).  I imagine the campsite will be heaving too, as its relatively cheap (but not actually that cheap!!) and in a great location.  It was pretty busy, even in early July!!  Nice temperature though.

We then went up to Camp Vodenca and did a bit of kayaking (Oven Kayak - highly recommended).  Campsite was excellent there, and cheaper than Bohinj, but much quieter.  She told us it is usually very busy in the holiday season.  its within walking distance of the town too.  I think there was lots of mountain biking round there too.

Then I think we visited the Skocjan Caves, after that which was incredible - highly recommended, despite it being expensive, it was really good.  I'd recommend the 'extended' tour as well.

Then we stayed on a lovely little campsite (in the garden of a vineyard) in camping Vrhpolje.  I believe there is climbing on the cliffs around there, although we just went for a couple of relaxing nights.  It was probably one of the best 'campsites' ive ever stayed in - 5 large pitches, wine on arrival, suitable for kids and next door to a great pizza place.

I think then we went to Idrija to the mercury mine there, which was very quiet, but the tour was cool - proper deep in the mine, and all in English.

Then we spent a few days in Piran, which was very very hot, very beautiful and again highly recommended for a relaxing last couple of days.

I would love to go back and do some VF (although i'd imagine better is available in Dolomites), climbing and more walking... 2 weeks is not enough, but certainly got a flavour.  If you're competent paddlers, the kayaking on the Soca was incredible, probably one of the best organised activities i've ever done (we did grade 3 roughly, but you can go as extreme or as civilised as you want).

My parents did a week or so there in the middle of the summer holidays, staying in a villa near lake bled and said it was busy and very very hot, but they loved it too.

OP samt 19 Jun 2018

Thanks everyone..

Booked flights last night so now uber psyched to go back.  I'm sure it'll be great even if we do have to put up with a few crowds and it does sound like there are places you can get away from it all, even at peak season. 

d_b 19 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

It is seriously worth considering the Kamnik-Savinja Alps group as well as the main Julian Alps.  The hills are slightly lower which may work in your favour with snow and crowds.

The two groups are less than 2 hours drive apart so it's not difficult to be flexible.

tjekel 20 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Just some ideas ... would prefer skocjan caves over Postojna; would visit the Predjama castle; have a look at the southern part of the Soca Valley and see / explain WW I nonsense and tragic to children (and also the less travelled southern part of the Julian Alps; skale Prisojnik via the Okno (eye) VF; have some family cragging at either Bohinj or Crni Kal. And cross the Border and join the masses for a dip in the Med.

Toerag 20 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Somewhere to stay - River Cottage. Owners wrote the walking guidebook and are very helpful. Would suit a family.

heleno 21 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Particularly if you're taking your children, you may want to consider vaccinations against tick-bourne encephalitis, as this is endemic in Slovenia and tick-bites are not uncommon in the area you're planning to travel (I speak from experience!).

You (just) have time as the vaccine should be given at least a month before travelling.  You will have to pay, but if you have boosters the protection will last several years.

OP samt 21 Jun 2018
In reply to heleno:

Hmmm - yes I wondered about that. I had my first ever tick in Slov on our first day there back in 2004.  got it off before it really got a hold and then swapped sandles for shoes for the remainder of the trip. 

Might consult the missus and make an appointment at the docs

Anyone else got experience of this??

tjekel 21 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

... i'd definitely get the vaccine. There's really lots of them this year in central europe.

OP samt 25 Jun 2018
In reply to tjekel:

So, got an appointment with the Nurse this afternoon to discuss the vaccines. 

However, from my research and the Sheffield Hallamshire Travel Clinic website, you need 3 jabs per person at 65£ a jab - so thats £780 quid!!!!!!!  

Not sure whether or not to proceed with it or not as it has added considerably to the cost of a already 'not cheap' holiday. 

Bob Kemp 25 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Don't know if you found this about TBE risk in Slovenia...

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/198/slovenia#Vaccine_recommendations

d_b 25 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

I tried permethrin spray on my trousers a couple of months ago as ticks have hit plague levels at some of the crags I frequent.  I haven't had a tick on my legs since, and it worked out a fair bit cheaper than 780 quid.

Don't do it if you keep cats.

Post edited at 14:26
 krikoman 25 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Bridge diving / jumping Most Na Soci, very exciting.

heleno 25 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Sorry to have initiated such a dilemma for you!  But I think just 2 jabs will give you short term protection if it's just a one-off trip.

tjekel 26 Jun 2018
In reply to samt:

Never thought of price - here it is a fraction of that, probably economies of scale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...