UKC

South of France Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blaciqui 28 Mar 2021

Hi All,

This -second- nightmare is coming to an end and I'm considering/planning/daydreaming with a couple of weeks of climbing in the south of France with my woman in late September/early October.

I'm looking for some recommendations for places to climb. I used to climb up to 6c+ sport outdoors before lockdown happened so my hope is to be comfortable climbing up to 6b+ but willing to push it a little bit. My favourite style of climbing is long (35-40m) vertical or slightly overhanging walls.

My partner doesn't climb as much as I do so for health of our relation I would like to ask you for some recommendations of nice hikes/nice villages to visit close to climbing areas, or not that close since we will rent a car and we don't mind driving if its worth the effort.

I know this is asking for maybe too much information but since France is so well known by British climbers I'm sure that some of you have been in the very same situation as me.

Thanks!!

mark catcher 28 Mar 2021
In reply to blaciqui: Orpierre and St Leger spring to mind. Maybe base yourselves in Buis and explore the beautiful villages like Suzette; great biking and close to the Dentelles for stunning hikes and more climbing.

GDes 28 Mar 2021
In reply to mark catcher:

Agreed, buis les barronies is hard to beat for all of that 

Enty 29 Mar 2021
In reply to blaciqui:

I live 15 minutes drive from all the crags in the Buis les Baronnies area, including St Julien which has 35/40m technical walls

We also have 2 beautiful fully renovated gites available in October. I have all the guidebooks available for guests to use and the hiking right from the doorstep is awesome. We're in a great village with the best bar in the area, a fantastic restaurant, bakery and small shop.

Send us a PM if you're interested.

E

tjekel 29 Mar 2021
In reply to blaciqui:

For your style of climbing, Chateauvert / Correns might be an interesting option, with a good spread of grades and good oltions of steeper stuff. The Verdon River is around the corner, and the Esterel with some weird geology is not far away. 

full stottie 29 Mar 2021
In reply to blaciqui:

Buis-les-Baronnies is a great choice (see Enty's reply). Roadside cragging, nice villages, walking, cycling and a via ferrata, not to mention the vineyards. Rockfax Haute Provence guidebook.

I'm jealous, but hope you get there and have fun.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...