UKC

Southern Sandstone in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Avid 10 Oct 2007
Hi quick question, does much climbing on southern sandstone go on over the winter? I know it gets nasty when its wet, but does it dry out at all?

Yes I know its not gritstone, but its all ive got close to me and I'd like to get on it over the winter rather than go to a wall all the time. So what do you think....good idea or bad?

i.munro 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

Not so much that it gets nasty when wet (although it does) but it gets very fragile & holds start to break.
So avoid any holds that feel or appear in any way damp.

Having said that, most of Bowles & parts of Harrisons dry pretty quickly given a couple of good days.

It becomes even more important than ever to take a mat or carpet & clean your feet thoroughly whenever you step onto the rock as the ground tends to stay damp & you have to be prepared to leave a perticular route for another day if there are damp holds.
 Trangia 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

It can be superb after a long dry period, but if it's at all muggy or wet it quickly gets greasy with an increase of verdigris. You obviously know that you shouldn't climb on it in when it's wet as that increases the risk of damage. The same comment applies to frost.
 hailtryfan 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

Good idea!

I regularly visit these crags during winter. Bowles comes into condition much quicker after rain than Harrisons which can be very green even in summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...