UKC

sport climbing trip February with beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wookie667 20 Oct 2018

Me and my girlfriend and her friend are thinking of going a sport trip February early march. They are both beginners to out side climbing but climb inside regularly so some where with lots of easy stuff was thinking costa blanca or mallorca?  Any suggestions would be great.

full stottie 20 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

> Me and my girlfriend and her friend are thinking of going a sport trip February early march. They are both beginners to out side climbing but climb inside regularly so some where with lots of easy stuff was thinking costa blanca or mallorca?  Any suggestions would be great.

Hard to go wrong in the Costa Blanca. Toix gives you lots of single pitch and some fully bolted 2/3 pitch routes to add variety, all with a fine outlook. Echo Valley and Guadalest (nice village, but touristy, but the crag is less pretty) are all quite close, and the little crag of Font d'Axia is a quiet spot that would provide a good first day/familiarisation.  Flesh pots of Calpe nearby if you need it - cheap fish restaurants at the harbour. Should be easy to find self-catering accommodation at that time of year in Altea, Mascarat, etc.

My own criteria for a first outdoor sporting trip would not only include a good range of easily accessible  routes but also the scenic value of the area, and the option of different crags nearby without spending too much time in a car. (Obviously local food, drink and culture would come into it somewhere and cheap flights). There are lots of tasty big crags visible on your travels to tempt future trips - the Puig, Sella, Penon and so on.  I've climbed in the Costa in February and in November, and conditions were great. 

Hope this helps

Dave

tjekel 20 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Would not think of mallorca, but probably of a variety of places in southern france, for lots of well bolted easy stuff. Obvious choices would be La Turbie with some other nearby crags; Orgon & Aureille; Montagne ste. Victoire if  you like slabs, and of course the Calanques. And Seynes.

Post edited at 15:54
 Trangia 20 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Plus 1 for Costa Blanca. 

Calpe makes an excellent base and you should be able to find a short term rental villa or flat in the area. loads of options, but hiring a car from Alicante airport is almost essential for getting around. I agree that Toix would make a good starter crag for a day or two.

Majorca is great too, but probably less really easy stuff. Again short term holiday rentals should be easy to find at that time of the year. Also a hire car is pretty well essential to get around. There are buses, and a train, but not always so convenient for the crags.

zv 20 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Another option is El Chorro, which is an excellent choice for beginner climbers with loads of crags with a lot of 4s and some fantastic 6s. Additionally, the bolting is overall very good. The area is quite easy to get to with flights to Málaga and in February the weather is so much better than here. 

Mark Eddy 20 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

As a few have now mentioned, Costa Blanca is a very good option and will give you loads of choice.

If wanting to be based close to / on the coast, Calpe is definitely worth checking out, plenty of accommodation there. Also lots of nice villages a little inland, Jalon (Xalo) valley is really pretty and has easy access to good crags - Alcalali, Font d'Axia, Murla.

Another great little crag with good beginner routes is 'Ambolo' near the seaside town of Javea. It's a very short and easy approach walk and the views from the crag are wonderful.

The newly developed routes at Bovedon (Gandia) have quite a few easier offerings too, certainly enough to make it worth a visit.

Hope that's helpful and you have a great holiday

Mark 

BrendanO 25 Oct 2018
In reply to wookie667:

As above, but I am also a fan of Tenerife - Arico gorge (upper)) is super accessible, generally well-bolted, choice of sun or shade. Lots of other venues too, lots of easy stuff, nice scenery. El Medano is a nice town to stay in, near airport, and supermarkets, restaurants etc. Other sports are available if they arent totally comitted, and main roads are good, sea is warm enough to go in.

before I ever went to Tenerife (now been three times), three friends (all newish climbers at the time) went, had a ball. Their stand-out route was in Arico Upper, Monica Diabolica (I think 5+). Having tried it, it is a corker, feeling very exposed and dramatic for the grade, but grade is right. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...