UKC

Taghia Gorge - Any insights?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DobloDan 13 Mar 2024

We are heading on a tip to Taghia gorge in Morocco, Mid April this year. staying at one of the Gites in the village.

I have read the few trip reports, and we do have at least one guidebook between us in the group.

Does anyone have any top tips from personal experience?

Gear, essentials to bring, food, any routes to aim for, the best currency to use?

Any info much appreciated! 

slawrence1001 13 Mar 2024
In reply to DobloDan:

Can't give too much information on the climbing as didn't manage to get much in but the best currency is Morrocan Dirham, which you have to exchange in country. There are plenty of places outside of the airport with good rates and some inside with mediocre rates.

oliboles 13 Mar 2024
In reply to DobloDan:

I went in 2017 and things may have changed but assuming the road isn’t built yet don’t scrimp on hiring a donkey to carry kit up the valley. It’s further than you think. Or I thought. 

The route books in the gites are great - useful and proper artefacts. It’s worth a trek up to the routes beside the waterfall just before the main gorge. Way up high on the south side of the valley above the village. Haben Oder Sein was a good one, pretty amenable, beautiful spot.

Hope you like cumin soup

dominic o 14 Mar 2024
In reply to DobloDan:

It's an absolutely magical place and you'll have a blast (though I'm not sure how the arrival of the rumoured road into the village might have changed things and I'm guessing you'll miss out on the night time approach on mule back!) Here's a trip report with recommendations for about a dozen routes. All highly recommended. We stayed at Youssef's gite (the upper one) and the hospitality is marvellous. 

https://doughton.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/mafi-mushkil-a-trip-report-fro...

Will Rupp 14 Mar 2024
In reply to DobloDan:

Best currency is Euros for paying for big stuff, all the Gites and taxis use it. Some dirhams useful for little shops. Shop in Taghia sells basics and lots of sweet stuff. 

Dan Arkle 14 Mar 2024
In reply to DobloDan:

Amazing place, you'll love it. 

Many of us got upset digestive systems, which is inconvenient on a six pitch route. 

Be mindful about what you eat and drink, especially in Marrakesh in your way in/out. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...