UKC

Verdon Wet Weather Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m heading out to The Verdon on Thursday for what we hoped would be a quick hit on L’escales and the surrounding area but it looks like there’s a good chance it might piss it down. 
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for wet weather alternatives in the area? Not adverse to a bit of a drive but we’ve only got 6 days and are flying in and out of Nice so don’t want to be spending most of the week in the car. 
Cheers. 

Post edited at 09:38
 Climber_Bill 26 May 2023
In reply to Duncan Disorderly:

There are lots of crags in and around the Gorge du Loup not far from Nice, even a very nice multi-pitch venue with some good routes.

Had a similar wet trip to the Verdon a few years ago and we went to Chateauvert for a few days which isn't too far from the Verdon and has a wide variety of grades and styles. There is a very good municipal campsite not far from the crag in the village of Correns.

CB.

There’s a bolted aid route across the roof of one of the caves somewhere, if that’s your jam. I don’t really remember where though - maybe off the walk through from the up river end.

jcm

jwi 26 May 2023

In Verdon itself:

Ramirole will stay dry, as will Hulk. There are also several perma-dry routes at Bauchet. The first five pitches of the routes on Parois rouge (Kallistée and Le vent souffle e.g.) should stay dry as well, if you are willing to sacrifice a quick-link or two to get down. Sector Gueule d'Amour stays dry during rain, but will start to seep after one-two days (I particularly recommend Double Fond)

Post edited at 22:24
 Luke01 27 May 2023

Another vote for Bauchet. I remember climbing there in heavy rain one time, as I cut loose on the crux move there was an almighty clap of thunder with almost simultaneous lightning, very dramatic. 

Bauchet (Verdon rive gauche)

kevin stephens 27 May 2023

when we had unsettled weather in Verdon after flying via Nice we bailed to the Calanques which was very good

In reply to y’all…

Thanks guys, definite food for thought. Ultimately want to climb in the Verdon so will aim for that but it might be more fun to sack it off til next year and head along the coast. Nice to have options, Calanques looks pretty mint. Cheers  

seankenny 28 May 2023

I’m of the opinion that while the Calanques are beautiful there is much better climbing elsewhere in the region. I found the rock a little Peak-esque on the crags I visited and not comparable to other crags in Provence. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...