UKC

Where in Europe would you take children to climb? Lots of easy routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Whoopdeedoo 25 Mar 2022

Every time I search for child friendly locations for sport climbing in Europe I get information about everything else in the area which makes it good for kids whilst the adults go climbing… such as swimming pool, theme parks etc….

I’m not really looking for that information as I have two psyched children who want to go climbing! My eldest is 12, youngest is 8. 12yr old started leading up to 5a in the climbing wall a few years ago… 8yr old will be having her first go next week on around 4a ish.

I’m going to find a nice venue in Europe that has lots of 4s and 5s to have a go at, nicely bolted and friendly access/bottom.

Please can you guys help? Thanks 😊 

seankenny 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Fontainebleau is the obvious choice surely? Maximum climbing for minimum faff, excellent cakes, Disneyland is close. 

Matt Podd 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Mallorca.

In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Which time of the year are you looking at?

If its summer time, Briancon area might work, there are a few crags that are just 4's and 5's plus a few others with a lot of 4's and 5s mixed in with other grades decently enough for a week or two. they are well bolted and mainly easy access for these crags.

There are also some kid friendly via ferrata and lots of suitable walks if they fancy a day off climbing. plus a few lakes for swimming in after climbing.

Let me know if you would like more information.

cheers 

wintertree 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Sardinia - Cala Gonone.

Good crags with lots of low end bolted routes in walking and driving distance.  Forget the swimming pool and just go to the sea which could be 3 minutes walk from accommodation.  Good shopping and dining, child friendly walks along the coast in both directions, lots of really nice tourist rental houses, touristified giant cave system nearby that kids should love, some awesome secluded beaches.

OP Whoopdeedoo 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Thank you for your replies!

We’ve taken the kids to font before and they loved it, so if we drive to France we’ll be stopping there again for sure! Briancon looks perfect!

tjekel 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

South of France, close to the Med, East to West:

- La Turbie, 

- Toulon, 

- Calanques

- Alpilles/Orgon

- La clape

(all tested with children). 

Kaly is heaven for children, climbing in the morning swimming in the afternoon. 

cb294 28 Mar 2022
In reply to tjekel:

In autumn, Crete. Climb in the morning at places like Kapetaniana or Sheep Fold, then go swimming in the Libyan Sea in the afternoon! Otherwise, Ardeche.

CB

scott titt 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

San Vito lo Capo had lots of sectors specifically bolted for children, all have easy access.

Scogliera Di Salinella - North

Scogliera Di Salinella - El Bahira

Scogliera Di Salinella - El Bahira

Scogliera Di Salinella - Central   Curtain Call area

Scogliera Di Salinella - South   Samuel area

Scogliera Di Salinella - Far South   Moretti area

There are many other easy routes all around, some booked for children eg Für Sophia (4b)

There is also a fine safe beach nearby! 

ChrisJD 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Having been there done that with our two lads, hands down it has to be the Ecrins.

Stay here with outdoor pool:

https://vacances-andretrigano.com/camping/hautes-alpes/le-courounba-les-vig...

There's climbing, bouldering, swimming, MTB biking, loads of via ferrata, canyoning, mountain walking; the lot.

We go after the start of August, then Temps are perfect and it slowly empties out; by beginning of Sept, you are nearly by yourself

neilh 29 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

Ardeche is excellent, a real family area.

Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Toulon area has been mentioned.  Mount Coudon includes probably the best crag I’ve found anywhere for lower grade sports routes, Sector Baudouvin. Look at all those stars, and they are justified. Only problem is exposure to the sun in summer. Oh, and the road and the whole of Mont Coudon can be closed in times of high fire risk, and not only in high summer. Also when leaving the crag when just one more route leaves you knackered it is uphill back to the car, a bit like caving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...