UKC

where to base yourself in Crete?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClarNicG 21 Aug 2023

Hi all,

We're looking at heading to Crete for two weeks in October, hoping to do some climbing and hiking.

Looking at the map, the roads seem quite torturous and wiggly and I'm sure it takes quite a while to hop from a to b. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to base yourself?

Thanks in advance

Claire

Nic 22 Aug 2023
In reply to ClarNicG:

At the risk of a classic UKC (slight) diversion of the topic, we were on a bucket and spade holiday there this year and (a) yes the roads are very windy, even the main roads, though there does seem to be some major road improvement work going on on the highway from Heraklion eastwards, and (b) I can't help with details of the climbing but I would be interested to hear where you can find information - we were staying just south of Agios Nikolaos and there were some awesome looking crags in the hills further south...I could find a smattering of info online but nothing like I would have expected.

midgen 22 Aug 2023
In reply to ClarNicG:

Did a week in Kapetaniana last year. The roads as far as the village itself are fine, once you go past it to the crags it's quite exciting driving at times. Much of the climbing is within a reasonable walk of the village itself if it's not too hot and you don't want to drive though.

Amazing location up in the hills overlooking the Med to the south, and miles away from the tourist crowds, no noise apart from the goats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...