UKC

Where to climb in Northumberland with kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richard22 30 Mar 2019

Hi, could anyone suggest places to go bouldering in Northumberland with kids over Easter? They're 9 and 7 and have done a little bit of climbing indoors but I'd like to take them somewhere where the climbing is relatively easy for them to build a bit of confidence. Any suggestions of family friendly venues would be appreciated - walk in not too long, no midges (though don't think they come out in April) and picnic spots available. Did see a suggestion of Kyloe out online but it sounded as if it might not have much climbing at lower end. Thanks.

JDal 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Richard22:

Berryhill should be ok.

Richard22 06 Apr 2019
In reply to JDal:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

In reply to Richard22:

Berryhill is my local crag. Lovely spot but worth mentioning there are lots of cows and calf’s in the field (as of last weekend). They tend to go in a circle around the crag throughout the day, they shouldn’t bother you too much but it can be quite a faff getting in and out the field when they’re by the gate. Not recommended if you also have a dog right now! Enjoy your holiday

frazzy4 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Richard22:

I'd recommend Kyloe in the woods. Nice short walk in through woods and easy to setup top rope on trees above crag. My 9yr old really enjoyed it. 

Offwidth 07 Apr 2019
In reply to frazzy4:

You need to be careful with top ropes on softer sandstones that the ropes dont rub on the rock. Also kids shouldn't be clumping up such such sandstone routes in boots and the rock should be avoided if damp (Kyloe In can hold damp on the easier lines... not that there are many)

frazzy4 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

They both have rock shoes and I'm sure a couple of climbs on top rope isn't going to damage the rock. 

Offwidth 07 Apr 2019
In reply to frazzy4:

I'm not having a go at you. Just being careful your advice didn't inadvertantly lead to bad practice... some venues I visted had bad top rope scars.

What routes did you use as a matter of interest?

Richard22 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for your replies. I'm planning on just taking them bouldering, but will check out Kyloe in the woods too. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...