UKC

Wild Camping - Black Mountains??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 25 Apr 2021

I'll be in the area this week and wondered if it's permissible / possible to wild camp (just me, and leaving no trace of course) in the Black Mountains section of the Brecon Beacons NP. I was thinking about the upper Grwyne Fawr valley, or somewhere on the Herefordshire side if COVID restrictions prohibit in Wales. 

I appreciate that it's a sensitive topic, and wild camping may not be officially permitted anywhere in the Brecon Beacons NP.

Many thanks for any advice.

Martin

OP Martin Hore 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Not sure why the down vote? If you know that what I'm suggesting is illegal, or prohibited by current Welsh COVID restrictions or frowned upon by local farmers etc. then it would be nice to know. I was only after advice, not intending to go ahead regardless.

Anyway, this will serve as a bump.

Martin

mattrm 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

It'll definitely be frowned upon by the landowners if you get caught.  I live on the edge of the Black Mountains.  Also if you are wild camping, you should probably know that it's not legal in Wales.  Scotland and Dartmoor are different obviously.

Steve Woollard 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

I've done it, camp high out of sight of the main footpaths, camp late, leave early  and leave no trace

OP Martin Hore 25 Apr 2021
In reply to mattrm:

Thanks Matt

It surprises me that wild camping is not legal in Wales given the amount that takes place in Snowdonia, including camping organised by the likes of Plas y Brenin on ML courses. 

But I'll take your advice re the Black Mountains. I was aware that there might be more issues there.

Martin

Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

The difference is that an ML group won’t leave piles of shite behind, chop down trees for campfires or otherwise disrespect the area, unfortunately wild camping is going the wrong way at the moment as some scratter will have watched a YouTube video and appear on a hill with no clue what they are doing.

Post edited at 20:46
 GrahamD 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Just do it.  Discretely.  And don't post about it, here or anywhere.

mattrm 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's illegal in most of the UK, apart from Scotland and Dartmoor.  Unless of course you have the landowners permission.  I would imagine that PyB have got permission of the relevant landowner.

Actually I've no idea if it's ok in Northern Ireland and tbh, I cba to check.

Babika 26 Apr 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Sound advice.

maxsmith 26 Apr 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Just do it, so long as you are respectful and set up camp late and strike camp early no one will even notice.

Gerry 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

I think you'll find that wild camping is illegal just about anywhere at present; something to do with a pandemic that's been going on for over a year now.

bigbobbyking 26 Apr 2021
In reply to mattrm:

> Actually I've no idea if it's ok in Northern Ireland and tbh, I cba to check.

Northern Ireland has even worse access rights than England so I'm sure there is no right to wild camp. 

MonkeyPuzzle 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Pro tip: Declare yourself a Freeman of the Land and you can basically do what you want by talking bollocks at anyone who tries to stop you until they lose the will to live.

OP Martin Hore 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Gerry:

> I think you'll find that wild camping is illegal just about anywhere at present; something to do with a pandemic that's been going on for over a year now.

Not true I would have thought. If you're on your own, or with a member of your household, it's permitted, in England at least, from 12 April this year, and for much of last year. It surely counts as "self-contained camping". The COVID risks are minimal, apart from interactions with others on the drive to and from the area. And we are now permitted to do that.

I'm certainly not ignoring or underplaying COVID, as your post could, I think, be taken to suggest.

Martin

Ben Callard 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi Martin, I've PM'd you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...