UKC

Yorkshire Campsite recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 08 Mar 2023

Looking for some campsite recommendations for Easter that meet the following criteria.

Nice sites, not too big or commercial. Close to a decent pub or two. Central enough that I can climb at both grit and limestone venues with not too much drive. I'm likely to be climbing alone or with my wife so probably looking at crags at the quieter/smaller/easier end of things like  Twistleton/Rylstone.

Any thoughts? Ta.

Hugo First 08 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Masons at Appletreewick?

mark catcher 08 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK: Kettlewell campsite, not as flash as Mason’s but handy for Knipe, Dib limestone and a short drive for Rylstone, Simon’s Seat etc.

Lankyman 08 Mar 2023
In reply to mark catcher:

> Kettlewell campsite, not as flash as Mason’s but handy for Knipe, Dib limestone and a short drive for Rylstone, Simon’s Seat etc.

Or a stiff stroll to Great Whernside Boulders

OP DaveHK 08 Mar 2023
In reply to mark catcher:

> Kettlewell campsite, not as flash as Mason’s but handy for Knipe, Dib limestone and a short drive for Rylstone, Simon’s Seat etc.

Stayed there before and it's nice although it was pretty much waterlogged when we were there.

philipivan 08 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

The climbing is too hard for me, but the campsite at Malham is nice, good walk nearby and 2 pubs and a decent cafe to choose from. 

65 08 Mar 2023
In reply to philipivan:

I've not been in a while but I remember a field at Malham with so many signs beginning with the word, "NO" that I thought Ian Paisley must own it, and a bigger but nice site at Gordale. Might have changed by now though. 

philipivan 08 Mar 2023
In reply to 65:

She was a bit like that but very friendly at the same time. Then again I'm a massive fan of the Grindleford cafe so I might be used to it. It's a lovely situation though. Not sure about the camping at gordale.

Of course the North lees campsite sets a high bar in terms of climbing campsites but you have to walk to hathersage for beer. 

Godwin 09 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I always think with Yorkshire trying to combine grit and limestone is a mistake, either do one or the other.

Austwick is a good place to base oneself with a few nice campsites and joining something like the camping and caravaning club gives access to nice sites.

I would have thought Rylstone would be a poor choice at Easter, I could imagine it would be very cold at that time of year.

OP DaveHK 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin

> I would have thought Rylstone would be a poor choice at Easter, I could imagine it would be very cold at that time of year.

It could be or it could be 15 degrees and wall to wall sunshine! We often do a North of England Easter trip and I've had everything from the hot aches to sunburn. It's just a case of picking an appropriate venue each day.

The Austwick campsite is really nice, stayed there a few years ago and would definitely go back.

Post edited at 06:47
OP DaveHK 09 Mar 2023
In reply to 65:

> I've not been in a while but I remember a field at Malham with so many signs beginning with the word, "NO" that I thought Ian Paisley must own it, and a bigger but nice site at Gordale. Might have changed by now though. 

I've stayed there quite a bit in the past, the farmer is the grumpiest man alive but his wife is much more friendly.

3 of us turned up there one night and he refused to let us in because he didn't take groups. He mellowed slightly after me explaining that we were there to climb not drink and that we were all professionals in our mid thirties. I suspect they have to deal with a lot of eedjits.

Lankyman 09 Mar 2023
In reply to philipivan:

> The climbing is too hard for me, but the campsite at Malham is nice, good walk nearby and 2 pubs and a decent cafe to choose from. 

It's not all big grades at Malham (presumably you mean the Cove?). There are also good lower grade venues nearby such as Great Close Scar and quite a lot of easier sport in the Watlowes dry valley above the Cove itself.

OP DaveHK 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> It's not all big grades at Malham (presumably you mean the Cove?). There are also good lower grade venues nearby such as Great Close Scar and quite a lot of easier sport in the Watlowes dry valley above the Cove itself.

We had a great day a good few years ago on foot from Gordale campsite. We did a route on one of the Stony Banks, several routes on Great Close Scar and a few at Malham Cove followed by dinner and a couple of pints in the Lister then walked back to the campsite in the gloaming. Happy days.

Godwin 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

My first severe iirc was original route at malham, which has you topping out amongst the awe struck tourists. They thought I had climbed the full height of the cove 😜

JMarkW 09 Mar 2023
In reply to 65:

"No throwing stones at the potatoes" was my favourite

Lankyman 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

>They thought I had climbed the full height of the cove 😜

Well, technically you had (even if it's only 50 feet high just there)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...