UKC

Acclimatisation, alternatives to Chamonix.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 David Coley 23 Apr 2024

Hi, I have a standard acclimatisation circuit around chamonix, but fancy something different this June. Maybe Italy. Anyone got some nice ideas for routes F to AD and huts that stack up as a 4 day acclimatisation set. Big thanks.

Mark Haward 23 Apr 2024
In reply to David Coley:

Hi Dave,

Gressoney Valley might fit the bill. Camping in valley. Walks / trails to passes and peaks at 2,000, 2,500, 3,000 and also huts at 3,500 metres. Some of the trails are quite spectacular with ladders, bridges etc. Easy access to some glaciers if any practice is needed. Huts include: Quintino Sella Refuge at Felik (3585m) so if anyone is acclimatised there is an easy and short route up Castor from there (4, 223m ).

Lower routes I'm aware of but have never done include:

Corno Bianco 3320 meters

Testa Grigia 3311 meters.

Mont Nery 3075 meters.

This website is great:

https://www.sentierigressoney.it/en/refuges/#

In reply to David Coley:

Here’s a Saas suggestion, where a lift pass is included in your tourist tax, in summer. 

Day 1: climb Alpendurst on the Jegihorn - a 15 pitch bolted V Diff. Sleep in the valley. 

Day 2: climb the normal route or the Hollabgrat on the Alallinhorn. 

Day 3: walking into Almagellar Hut - traverse Dri Hornli if you’ve got enough energy.

Day 4: climb weissmeiss and descend to valley.

OP David Coley 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks Mark, I'm wondering if that is all a bit close to the spaghetti tour, which we are off to, any other awesome ideas? Please

OP David Coley 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks Tom, like it, cheap too. Hopefully I'll be able to climb vdiff by mid June!

Mark Haward 24 Apr 2024
In reply to David Coley:

Tom's suggestion around Saas Grund is great. I vaguely remember the Portengrat (sp??) being a fun rock mountaineering route too from the Almagellar Hut. There are also plenty of accessible ( arguably too accessible ) peaks around Saas Fee.

I have used Zermatt before. There is cheap (ish ) camping in Randa - a village before the road restrictions. They offer a cheap minibus to Zermatt. You can actually walk on trails to 3,200 or 3,400 metres plus such as the Rotthorn, Fluehorn ridge and beyond. Awesome views and a great first hike. The trail up to the Hornli Hut at 3,200 metres may inspire some ( I don't recommend staying the night though ). Perhaps could even play on the first section of the Hornli route before descending. Although a bit of a jump in height taking the cable car to Klein Matterhorn gives very easy access to a glacier, very easy and short 4,000 metre peak ( Breithorn ) and lots to explore around there. Depending on how people feel the Ayas hut at 3,400 metres gives lots of options, even if it is just glacier practice if required. Strongly recommend the half traverse of the Breithorn and then options for Castor / Pollux. 

I'm sure others will come along with great route suggestions...

Mark Haward 24 Apr 2024
In reply to David Coley:

> Thanks Tom, like it, cheap too. Hopefully I'll be able to climb vdiff by mid June!

Oh, I don't know Dave. You might just have to do some training...

OP David Coley 25 Apr 2024
In reply to Mark Haward:

I've had surgery on my shoulder 

Mark Haward 25 Apr 2024
In reply to David Coley:

Hope the recovery goes well..

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...