UKC

Arierge Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJKing 05 Mar 2022

Hi all.

Thinking of doing a climbing trip to the Arierge in the first week of June. Would the Dent D'Orlu or the Pic Rouge Belcaire be snow free climbing objectives? I would assume so myself. I was thinking specifically of the SE Ridge of the Dent.

Thanks 

Laurence

john arran 05 Mar 2022
In reply to LJKing:

The climbing itself will almost certainly (barring freak weather) be snow-free, though the descent walk-off is down the North side and can hold snow until well into the summer. It's also possible there may be a small skirt of residual snow at the base of some routes. Maybe consider bringing micro-spikes or similar for the descent.

OP LJKing 05 Mar 2022
In reply to LJKing:

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. Would I be correct in assuming it would reasonably warm climbing weather at that time? Perhaps a bit cool at night.Certainly when I climbed on the Dent in August we got frazzled!

Thanks

Laurence

john arran 05 Mar 2022
In reply to LJKing:

Sometime in June there's usually a short heatwave, with valley temps up to 30deg or higher for a few days. For the rest of the month mid 20s or so is more usual. There isn't a lot of shade up on the Dent, so starting early and moving quickly can make a big difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...