UKC

Austria route alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey I'm trying to plan a mountaineering trip to Austria to do the Grossglockner (Studlgrat), Zugspitzes(Hollental) and maybe Triglav(Vrata Valley). If unable to carry out the Triglav summit are there any other intermediate summit routes in the Innsbruck area that would serve as a good alternative?

Also are there any guide books you would recommend for that area?

tjekel 19 Jun 2022
In reply to SandstoneYorkie22:

first, I'd recommend a look at a map as to where Triglav is in relation to Innsbruck... the good old school globe does not help.

Some recommendations closer to Innsbruck may include Watzespitze East ridge, several ridge lines (partly VF) in Karwendel just north of Innsbruck, Patteriol... 

cb294 19 Jun 2022

Innsbruck has easy access to the Western Zillertal and Tuxer Alps, Stubai, Ötztal, Karwendel,...

Zugspitze might be closest, but both Glockner and Triglav (not even in Austria) are several hours away by car!

CB

spenser 19 Jun 2022

I really enjoyed the N Ridge of Zwolferkogel when I did it a few years ago, straightforward approach, abseils/ down scrambling and a scree slope in descent. 

cragtyke 19 Jun 2022
In reply to spenser:

The descent into langental is no longer possible, as the path there is closed due to construction work on a new dam they are building.

I don't know if it's possible to continue along the ridge to the Sulzkogel and descend on the path there?

In reply to tjekel:

I'm just checking out the Watzespitze Ostgrat now and it looks a good route - thanks for posting this. Grossglockner will definitely be getting completed even if, Triglav is several hours away though. 

Babika 20 Jun 2022

Studlgrat is a good route - enjoy. You don't really need a guidebook as its quite obvious. I remember the summit coming quite unexpectedly as it was thick fog and I couldn't see a thing. The descent was slightly challenging in the conditions but at least we didn't meet any crowds at the pinch point coming up.

Hollental gorge and glacier/via ferrata was also fabulous as was Triglav. 

Definitely 3 very special mountain routes although, as others have pointed out, Triglav isn't very close to the other 2. 

spenser 20 Jun 2022
In reply to cragtyke:

No idea, we only did the one summit (late start due to medication unpleasantness and partner not wanting to lead anything). 

fenski 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Babika:

Can you recommend a good route for Triglav?? I see there are several options.

Post edited at 11:02
 Babika 20 Jun 2022
In reply to fenski:

> Can you recommend a good route for Triglav?? I see there are several options.

We did Tomaniski route up (fantastic) and stayed in the Hut. Summit next day (wonderful but crowded) and Prag route back to valley. 

One advantage of the Hut is you get to relax and see sunset and sunrise panoramas of the Julian Alps which were breathtaking. Makes the whole thing less stressful and much more enjoyable.

AlanLittle 20 Jun 2022

> Also are there any guide books you would recommend for that area?

I take it you're aware that "that area" covers three countries, two of which aren't Austria?

In the Wetterstein, in addition to or alternative to the Höllental the Blassengrat is a great day out, way superior to the more famous/popular/crowded Jubilaumsgrat.

Or, if big routes on dodgy rock with a high risk of stonefall and/or going off route are your thing, there's always the Watzmann Ostwand

Post edited at 14:51
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks Alan. Yes I am aware they are three separate countries but I will be looking at logistics to travel from Innsbruck to do the Zugspitze and return back to Innsbruck. It is looking more likely that we will do Grossglockner and the Zugspitze and that's why I thought I'd ask for some suggestions from the more informed peeps out there :p 

Both the Watzespitze Ostgrat and Zwölferkogel look very interesting routes

AlanLittle 20 Jun 2022

> logistics to travel from Innsbruck to do the Zugspitze

If you manage to get a booking at the Höllentalanger hut, then train from Innsbruck to Hamersbach, changing at Garmisch. If can't, or don't want to use the hut, then unfortunately there isn't an early enough train in the morning so you'd have to drive.

> Watzespitze

Don't know it, but I was skiing in Kaunertal at Easter and can confirm it's a lovely area.

The Schönfeldspitze might be another one worth adding to the list

AlanLittle 21 Jun 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

> train from Innsbruck to Hamersbach, changing at Garmisch. 

It occurs to me though: you should be aware that the line between Garmisch and Munich is closed for the foreseeable future because of a big train crash last week. It wouldn't surprise me if services between Innsbruck and Garmisch were also affected, since it's the same line and normally the same trains. Whether services will be back to normal by September is anybody's guess.

cb294 21 Jun 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

From Innsbruck you can also go via Mittenwald.

CB

AlanLittle 21 Jun 2022
In reply to cb294:

That's what I meant. I certainly wasn't suggesting anything as bizarre as going Innsbruck-Garmisch via Munich. What I don't know is how much the service Innsbruck-Mittenwald-Garmisch is affected by not running the normal through trains.

VictorM 21 Jun 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

According to bahn.de there are bus substitutes (both from Munich and Innsbruck), although taking public transport from Innsbruck to Hammersbach currently takes more than three hours so that pretty much rules out doing it in a day. 

Post edited at 14:21
 AlanLittle 21 Jun 2022
In reply to VictorM:

> taking public transport from Innsbruck to Hammersbach currently takes more than three hours so that pretty much rules out doing it in a day. 

Indeed. I've never done the Höllental route myself, but whenever I've been in the area in the wee small hours the Hammersbach carpark has been pretty busy around 4 or 5 in the morning. And they can't all have been greyhounds like my mate who did Höllental and the Jubiläumsgrat in a day.

The options from Innsbruck are: train the previous afternoon & hut, train the previous evening and b&b in Grainau or Hammersbach, or drive early in the morning.

The railway might be open again by September, but even then it's not going to be that much faster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...