UKC

Chamonix Glacier du Tour condition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ROB W 07 Aug 2017
Glacier du Tour conditions - bare ice on initial slopes beyond Albert Premier, a bit tricky for novices first thing in the morning. Numerous crevasses beyond this. Col Superior du Tour in a mess - dirty ice slopes up high, with evidence of plenty of rockfall over the track below I decided to avoid. A team was questing over the Col du Tour, but this didn't look like a good idea at all. Some huge crevasses heading up towards Petite Fourche, inc one section traversing a ridge in the middle of a building-sized yawner. Chardonnet way out of condition (obviously). Overall, everything up there in a bit of a sorry state. Sections of dry glacier at over 3300m - there is a possibility that the entire Tour glacier could be in a dry state by the end of the summer if we carry on like this. Pic of Col Sup on alpinerob face book page
Bserk 07 Aug 2017
In reply to ROB W:

weather report looks like its gonna cool down a good bit and maybe up to 1m of snow Tuesday - Friday. Fingers crossed!
 J Whittaker 07 Aug 2017
In reply to ROB W:

I went for an attempt on the Forbes Arete 3 weeks ago and took the guidebook approach due south from below Pte. 3238. It took us through a crevassed maze of hell and we both punched through weak snow bridges, it wasn't a nice place to be. After the initial snow slopes up to La Bosse on the Chardonnet we decided to bail with an enormous crevasse on the hanging glacier that had a single bridge across and no obvious way round.

On all the descriptions, pictures and other peoples reports there is no mention of an enormous crevasse up there so I think it could be quite new with the poor winter and hot summer.
 hairy51 08 Aug 2017
In reply to ROB W:

Wow, doesn't look pretty! I was hoping for a wander around there in a few weeks time, that has made me reconsider!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...