UKC

Cosmiques arete warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 11 Aug 2023

The compagnie des guides is no longer selling this due to unstable boulders and rockfall in the abseil areas.  As UKC ers probably know the unfavourable strata and permafrost melting have led to a number of rockfalls on it over the years.  Probably worth avoiding for the time being

Mark Haward 11 Aug 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

Thanks for posting this

jon 11 Aug 2023

To be honest, I'm surprised the top station's still there 

hutchymh 11 Aug 2023

Did Cosmiques 2 weeks ago and the 2nd ab was very loose. The main danger comes from overzealous (a k.a rude and impatient) parties trying to go around you as they *think* they are faster.

If you couldn't tell it was my first time in the Alps, slightly different from Scotland!

OP philipjardine 12 Aug 2023
In reply to jon:

as you probably know there is a lot of monitoring going on up there.  Heres some light reading for you.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013795223002570?fbclid=...

jon 12 Aug 2023

Excellent, thanks!

manumartin 17 Aug 2023

I did the Cosmiques a few weeks ago with my daughter on 23rd July. Everything went perfectly well. I did notice that there were multiple abseils in place at similar levels but up to 10-15mts horizontally apart from each other. Some from bolts and some just from ab tat. We did not come across anything that seemed loose when doing the second ab......maybe we just chose a solid ab point! Maybe the ab point we used has becomme loose since then....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...