UKC

Getting to Mont Blanc Gouter Hut in June 2024

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Whoiskun 20 May 2024

We are planning a trip to climb Mont Blanc on 5-7th of June 2024 had have the Gouter hut booked. 

Just found out that the usual Tram du Mont Blanc taking visitors up to the huts appears to be closed until 15th of June. 

"Due to the Tramway du Mont-Blanc renovation and development project, the arrival at the Nid d'Aigle is closed"

https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/tramway-montblanc

Does anyone know of any alternatives or suggestions on how to summit Mont Blanc without the tram?

Thanks

hairy51 20 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

A long walk I guess! I think you'll be just too early for the Bellevue cable car as well. Similar discussion here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/expedition+alpine/mb_-_how_long_is_the_wa...

CantClimbTom 20 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

Walk... Belvue cable car and walk by the track, it's  not that bad although in afternoon sun it can feel quite warm .

But if you can get availablity??? Book a night at Tete Rouse hut before the gouter. This is WAY WAY WAY better option because not only are you far more rested for the walk up to the summit (having only walked up from Tete Rousse the day before) it'd mean you can cross the Grand Couloire before the sun shines on it and it's still and quiet. When the warmth of the day hits it... go to YouTube and look!!! You want to avoid that!!

Edit: oh dear Bellevue telepherique isn't open until 6th August???  That's a longer walk. Definitely see if there's any space at Tete Rousse!!

Post edited at 14:28
 montyjohn 20 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

Aiguille du Midi will be open if you fancy the trois Mont route. Getting space in the Cosmique was pretty easy, although I only every booked it the once.

tomredfern 20 May 2024
In reply to CantClimbT

> Edit: oh dear Bellevue telepherique isn't open until 6th August???  That's a longer walk. Definitely see if there's any space at Tete Rousse!!

I think you are reading that the wrong way round, Bellevue opens on 8 June (8/06 not 6/08)

Not that it helps the OP....

Post edited at 18:47
In reply to Whoiskun:

You can get a 4x4 taxi up to the col de voza, shortening the walk. With the current ammount of snow getting from the car park in Bionassey to the Gouter will be a long day.

philipjardine 21 May 2024
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

very surprised the tete rousse is opening soon.  I wonder how many people will get up there?  

OP Whoiskun 21 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

Thanks for all the tips. Sadly Tete Rouse and even Nid d'aigle is fully booked for months, so no where to sleep en-route. 

Further planning means that starting we start from Col de Voza or Bionnassay means a hike of around 2500m ascent, with most of the walking in the snow at this time of the year. 

Will need to get to Gouter by 5pm to check-in, so that means if leaving at 7am, it will give us 10 hours for the journey. Possible, but still quite daunting. 

It also means a 2am departure the next morning for a push to summit, then all the way back again.

Hopefully there will be last minute cancellations at refuges that will allow us to spend extra night, which will greatly help. 

CantClimbTom 21 May 2024
In reply to tomredfern:

Ha has, sorry been reading American dates and I went nuts. Actually that's worse that way round as it.. adds insult to injury. Although the silver lining to that dark cloud is probably how they managed to get the Gouter hut booking! If there's still a space at Tete Rouse?? The night before, it may turn out just fine, but if a long walk the first day though, unless they go up trois montes and down Gouter as 8th would be the first day of Bellevue Telepherique ? (reading their dates as staying in Gouter hut the night of 7th)

OP Whoiskun 21 May 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Yes. Managed to secure booking at Gouter on 6th and 7th right after the booking opened. Trois montes sounds like a different challenge all together and not much easier. 

If we can sneak in a extra night on the way down it will make things so much better, but if not, just have to push through it. Given all the huts are fully booked, I'm sure we won't be the only ones. 

Pids 21 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

Is it still the done thing to carry a tent up, pitch outside/near the hut and pay for a meal etc then sleep in the tent outside - used to be fairly common

CantClimbTom 21 May 2024
In reply to Pids:

Ha haa, in the days of the old hut, just be discreet. Then maybe up to 2019 on the snow. Another victim of its own success, too crowded. 

Unless anyone has anything more up to date/accurate?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%AAte_Rousse_Hut "...Camping at high elevation is banned on this route; however, it is permitted on the snowfield above the Tête Rousse Hut.[1][2] In 2019 a base camp was built on that snowfield where it is possible to spend the night, but it is required to have a reservation there also. Camping with a private tent is completely forbidden.."

Post edited at 16:34
 MG 21 May 2024
In reply to Whoiskun:

Are you planning things prior to Mont Blanc? If not, I strongly suggest you do!

OP Whoiskun 21 May 2024
In reply to MG:

Yes. Acclimating at Gran Paradiso for two days prior. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...