UKC

Ice conditions - La Grave, Ceillac, Alpe d'Huez, Cervieres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VinnyW 18 Jan 2024

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on current Ice conditions in La Grave, Ceillac, Alpe d'Huez

Was hoping to climb some ice but slow start to the season and now its seems to be dumping snow then getting warm and raining... 

Any conditions advice greatly received.

Thanks

Doug 18 Jan 2024
In reply to VinnyW:

Have you looked at https://conditions.ice-fall.com/ ?

I was in Ceillac for a couple of days of cross country skiing last week & there didn't seem to be much ice (eg the Cascade de le Pisse had some ice at the sides but was mostly flowing water). But maybe conditions have improved in the last week although here in the Champsaur (same départment) its been warm with heavy rain the last couple of days.

Post edited at 16:12
In reply to VinnyW:

Hey Vinny,

I can’t help re your request, but here is some information about stuff nearish to Chamonix. 

Cogne seems to be okay, as is the surrounding area. I’ve heard there are things to do in Arolla, high in Kandersteg, and near Grimentz. People are also climbing on the Left and Right banks of the Argentire Glacier. 

It’s too warm for valley ice in Chamonix. 

OP VinnyW 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug. Ive been checking ice-fall.com but reports are thin on the ground as is the ice.

Thanks Tom. Were all booked for Briancon now for 5 days so will need to change tack it seems.

What with the rain and warm weather I think it may turn onto a ski trip!

Juan S 18 Jan 2024
In reply to VinnyW:

It's been warm and raining in Briançon area yesterday and today (Thursday). The rain-snow line waent above 2,000m yesterday . Today was at around 1,700 to 1,800.

It's forecast to be pretty warm next week, so doubt there will be much ice left at lower altitudes. Alp d'Huez might be fine as higher (just speculating, haven't been)

Sorry probably not telling you anything you don't already know. Last week Aguilles was fine to climb, but haven't been back since it got warmer/rainier.

The skiing is lovely though!

Juan S 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Juan S:

There were people ice climbing today in villar d'arene (new 'ice wall'). Whether the ice will survive the warm temperatures this week is tbc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...