UKC

/ Pete Boardman vid

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
paul mitchell - on 12 Jan 2019

Contrasts of city and mountain life. Near death in Afghanistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxE5czgcO_I

simondgee - on 12 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

Nice find Paul...plus I never realized Pete's Body had been found.

Wanderer100 - on 12 Jan 2019

Amazing story. He talks like he writes. Very eloquent.  

PeterBlackler - on 12 Jan 2019

Thanks for posting...I believe the original interview was for a BBC series called "The Light of Experience" shown on Sunday evenings in the 70's & was about spiritual reflections rather than being a climbing programme itself (hence I suspect the somewhat Jackanory type delivery). I do remember seeing this episode all those years ago and the impression it left with me*

Is of course sad to watch both thinking what then happened to Boardman himself but also with his thoughts on Afganistan - it's history since and even beforehand http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/fc69b85a-c6b1-3363-baeb-24418e99b683 (mentions the Koh-i-Khaaik climb)

* BTW when asked for "secret question" for an online password reminder and it wants the name of a childhood hero then mine is usually Pete as in the interview (yes I know I probably shouldn't put that here but I somehow doubt many hackers are reading this thread...)   

Post edited at 22:42
ripper - on 13 Jan 2019

Thanks for posting, that's just brilliant. Pete was a boyhood hero of mine too - partly because The Shining Mountain was the first proper climbing book I read. Even in that generation of incredible stars, he really did shine pretty brightly didn't he?

Thunderbird7 - on 14 Jan 2019

Great stuff. he wrote well and was a hero of mine also. A sad loss. Hopefully the safari suite is back in fashion somewhere now...

Vanessa Simmons on 15 Jan 2019

'Oliver had eaten more recently than Martin and myself: he'd had a throat lozenge and a piece of chewing gum for breakfast, so we persuaded him that it was about time he took the lead.'

Classic!

Thanks for posting.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.