UKC

Refuge du Couvercle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 12 Jun 2022

Does anyone know if the Couvercle is open yet?

I stayed there in 2019, and planned to again in 2021, but was told it was closed for the season for renovation. (The winter hut remains open for ‘emergency’ use.)
I’d like to use it again this year, but can find no information online whatsoever. I did read it was closed in 2020 for renovation, so that’s two years at least its been closed.

Any info welcome, ta.

Rob Parsons 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Fredt:

https://refugeducouvercle.ffcam.fr/ implies it's still closed (but presumably someone local to Chamonix will be able to confirm.)

steve_gibbs 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Fredt:

I stayed in the winter hut a couple of times last season. It's open to climbers and free to stay in, due to the main hut closed for renovation. It has around twenty beds, blankets, a fireplace, a load of logs and axe, limited pans. Plenty streams nearby, but collect water well away from the hut. The builders mostly stay in the main hut they're renovating, however occasionally overflow into the winter hut, hence can periodically get busy. 

Jack Geldard 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Fredt: Yes, it has been renovated and is now open again. I spoke to Christophe the guardian last week.

Hope to see you up there!

OP Fredt 13 Jun 2022
In reply to Frostguiding:

> Google is amazing

Yes, incredibly, it seems to be able to update websites that haven't been updated for ages as soon as someone posts about it on UKC! Amazing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...