UKC

Taking Rope on Eurostar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 von_donsburg 21 Mar 2018

The Eurostar website clearly states that "ice axes and other climbing and mountaineering equipment" have to be transported via Eurodespatch, ther special delivery service (at extra cost and hassle).

I'd be intersted to hear if anyone has recently taken a climbing rope in your normal luggage wihtout (or with!) any issues.

Cheers

yorkshireman 21 Mar 2018
In reply to alex.donora:

Not helpful, but I remember heading to France with a full toolbag including hammers, drills and screwdrivers (this would have been ~2009) and nobody seemed bothered. I just explained at the x-ray machine that was what was in there and they were fine.

Lewis Turnip 21 Mar 2018
In reply to alex.donora:

Last summer I took a bag of sport climbing gear on the Eurostar including ropes, quickdraws and other climbing stuff. We were stopped by security but they just took my Jetboil canisters off me and didn't seem interested in any of the climbing gear. Perhaps I should have read the website!

Hope that helps.

Lew

Neil Williams 22 Mar 2018
In reply to alex.donora:

I took a rope on Eurostar a few years ago as well as a load of assorted krabs, quickdraws, VF kit etc and they didn't give a monkey's.

They are looking for bombs, knives and guns rather than metalwork.  I'm fairly sure the BMC even got them to agree to take ice axes, so I'm surprised to read the website again says they have to be checked in.

Post edited at 00:14
 ambrazoni 29 Mar 2018
In reply to von_donsburg:

I had an Opinel knife confiscated at Ashford Eurostar as they said it was illegal since the blade can be locked open. Bought another at the first French shop and on return French Eurostar didn't care. Tried to take a Laguiole folding penknife and was made to return it to my car since 'carrying' a knife, even if it was legal, was not allowed (Ashford again). Last year took a rucsac with two half ropes, rack of climbing gear, crampons, axe, etc (and said penknife) with no problem. St Pancras this time. Maybe Ashford have little else to do??

Dave Cundy 29 Mar 2018
In reply to von_donsburg:

I had my gas canister confiscated at St. Pancras a few years ago.  Which was a right bugger cos we couldn't find any in France during our cycling trip. I imagine the Eurostar forbidden items list will soon look like that at airports. airports.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...