UKC

Triglav Hiking Map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Miskawroe 27 Jul 2023

Can anyone recommend which map is most suitable for climbing Triglav - Slovenia? If anyone has any available that they are willing to sell, I'd be happy to purchase.

Derry 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

We were over there in March and struggled to find an OS type map before we left. My mate did purchase one for the whole of the National Park but it doesn't quite have the same detail you'd hope for in terms of paths.

There were a couple of outdoor stores in Kranjska Gora that had maps, although I'm sure you're looking for English copies.

Harry Jarvis 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

You might try Stanfords:

https://www.stanfords.co.uk/

They seem to have a number of maps at various scales which cover Triglav. 

gneiss boots 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

The Sidarta 1:25,000 sheet called Triglav covers all the routes, huts etc. in that area and is much better than the Freytag and Berndt 1:50 sheet called ‘Julische Alpen’ I had used in that area previously ( though to be fair, that is ok noting marked routes and signs).

There is a Cicerone guidebook that covers the Southern approach to Triglav too. It is titled ‘ The Julian Alps of Slovenia’.

nniff 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Enquire of The Map Shop in Upton on Severn. They're very helpful.  They're currently looking for two 50,000 maps of less-well-travelled Italy for me.  It will take a while, because they're hard to find.

Either look for them on their web site and/or give them a call

https://www.themapshop.co.uk/

OP Miskawroe 27 Jul 2023
In reply to gneiss boots:

Thanks for your response. Is this the one you are referring too?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triglav-000-Julian-Alps-Sloveniae/dp/B00HVETA0Y

gneiss boots 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

That is it. I found it very clear.

OP Miskawroe 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Thank you mate

RX-78 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

All we used was "Triglavski narodni park" 1:50000 map by Kartografija, 

got from Stanford's. But at the time I used viewranger mainly, the map was just backup.

tallsteve 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Cordee is great.  Bought ours from there.

Triglav has a VF cable to the top, but beware most VFs in Slovenia are not like other countries.  They are marked, but only protect the really serious bits.  As a climber you should be OK, but don't expect cable bottom to top as in Italy. 

Triglav is a popular mountain so is a bit over cabled IMO and you could do it without VF kit if you're feeling brave.  Great peak and recommended.  You can hire VF kit at the Dom Valentina hut.  Avoid weekends.

Fat Bumbly2 30 Jul 2023
In reply to tallsteve:

Found it a fine scramble, but it is not like a sport VF.  Wires along ridges are just what you want if caught by a thunderstorm - like I was.

Eduardo2010 31 Jul 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Is it a fun day out despite all of the above? I'm potentially in town for business in the coming months, could add on a trip.

Fat Bumbly2 31 Jul 2023
In reply to Eduardo2010:

Very much a fun day out - weird things happen at the top.   

The previous day the Slovene cabinet met up there, I got a lift with one of them the next day. A very interesting insight as to what was happening in the just started Bosnian War.

OP Miskawroe 01 Aug 2023
In reply to tallsteve:

Yes looking at the photos and info etc I was thinking the VF kit would only be a back-up if needed, we have our own from previous trips so no need to hire.

I tried to choose the most VF intense/more difficult route (also hoping it would be a little quieter) as unfortunately the only time that we could climb is sat-sun.

Hopefully its not too busy.

d_b 02 Aug 2023
In reply to gneiss boots:

I agree.  The Sidarta maps are by far the best I have found for Slovenia.

d_b 16 Aug 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

One thing I just remembered is that the alpine museum in Mojstrana has an excellent bookshop that carries maps and English language guidebooks that are often difficult to find in the UK.

Post edited at 10:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...