UKC

Altimeter watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drsdave 15 Feb 2018

Does anyone use one of these fancy altimeter watches? If so have you found that having such a watch is really useful or are they just another gadget that you don’t need with good navigational training. This is with reference to UK conditions and terrain.

Tyler 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I have one but as more of a sport climber than a mountaineer the altimeter doesn't get a lot of use. I did use it more when I was going running around here (mildly hilly) and I do like it. Seemed pretty accurate as well. 

ebdon 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I have an ageing suunto which i have got tonnes of use out of in the alps and futher afield i have never really felt the need to use it in the uk though as the changes in altitude arnt huge and you have acces to weather forcasts so the barometer isnt useful.

Post edited at 12:21
 gravy 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I really like using an altimeter watch for navigation and pacing in alpine territory.  The most basic will do and it helps you keep an eye on the weather. So much better than anything fancy.

wintertree 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I love my Suunto Core.  Having long since exhausted all nice running and cycling routes in my area (and not getting to go away much) it’s redundant now for local excercise as altitudes are all in my head, it only really gets used to see how deep I can dive under the sea (not very far) and to tell me water temperatures.

I’ve never found it that useful on UK mountains - or more accurately never found that I had a need for it - but it was great in wooded mountain terrain in California.

I really wish they’d overhaul the screen, it’s awful by modern standards.

Post edited at 12:26
 Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I use a Suunto Vector in mountain marathons, you do need to reference them at every known spot to be any real use though, i use a Garmin Fenix 5 at all other times.

tehmarks 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I have a Suunto Core that gets used in the Alps, but unless you put some effort into how to get the best out of one, it won't be much use. For example I calibrated mind at the Col de Balme the other day, and watched with amusement as my altitude rose several hundred metres before I went anywhere, and by the time I'd finished the descent was still reading higher than when I set off.

They have a use, but I wouldn't put serious faith in altimetry for navigation in changing or inclement weather, which is probably the most useful time to be able to do so to be honest. If you can see the huge granite spire and the winding glacier, navigation generally isn't a huge problem...

galpinos 15 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Great for mountain marathons/nav events at pace, knowing you are hitting a re-entrant above the dibber and just have to head down takes the stress out of things somewhat.

I have a Fenix 3 for none competitive stuff so use that.

paul walters 16 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I have a Timex Expedition something or other Altimeter watch that was given to me a few years ago. I've never used it. You can have it if you want it. Email me if you're interested and we can arrange postage etc. 

Paul W

> Does anyone use one of these fancy altimeter watches? If so have you found that having such a watch is really useful or are they just another gadget that you don’t need with good navigational training. This is with reference to UK conditions and terrain.

Rigid Raider 16 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I had a Casio altimeter watch, admittedly not as fancy as some of the current jobs but it worked OK, although I seldom used it for altitude as it was so fiddly and the readout so small.  It was occasionally useful for seeing what the pressure had been doing overnight. 

OP drsdave 16 Feb 2018
In reply to paul walters:

I’ve emailed you Paul. That’s a very generous and kind offer thank you.

OwenM 16 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I have a suunto vector very useful for ski touring where you can't pace distance. Also when skiing down glaciers in a whiteout and need to avoid getting to low and going onto an area of crevasses etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...