UKC

Buying jackets from eBay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
moonpie11 20 Aug 2018

I'm on the hunt for a new jacket for walking and climbing all through year. I've found exactly which one fits my requirements but it's out my budget. I've found two for sale on eBay- 1 is bang on my budget, claims to be worn twice so no tags etc but it looks like the tag inside has been cut which I find odd. The other has all tags on and is just over budget but I can stretch to it. It's more than I've ever spent on anything from an eBay seller though rather than an official shop though and my husband has me paranoid about it being fake (the jacket is Mountain Equipment- I don't know if there are many fakes of these?) and not having anywhere to go if there are any issues with the jacket. 

Does anyone have much experience of buying off eBay for higher end waterproofs? Is it something to be avoided?

raincloud 20 Aug 2018
In reply to moonpie11:

Mountain equipment sell their seconds and samples on e-bay and cut the corner off the tag to show where it was bought from

mike123 20 Aug 2018
In reply to moonpie11: I'm not sure if it's against posting rules , but which jacket is it ? There are probably fakes on there but also plenty of real ones. 

moonpie11 20 Aug 2018
In reply to mike123:

It's the Manaslu, size 12. New one is black and twice worn one is purple.

GarethSL 20 Aug 2018
In reply to moonpie11:

Having had a quick look, without a doubt they are both genuine. The new one is actually a dark purple as opposed to black.

Fakes are generally easy to spot. Typically being a generic outdoor looking jacket with a random brands logo splatted on it.

moonpie11 20 Aug 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Worth going for then? Do you think I have anything to worry about with the purple one and the tab? Probably overthinking it but it also looks like there's a tiny imperfection in the left back shoulder material from the photo but it doesn't look like anything that would affect it from working. 

GarethSL 20 Aug 2018
In reply to moonpie11:

If you are set on the cheaper one then I would ask the seller about the shoulder and also if the jacket has been washed and how. It looks like it has been washed which fair enough if you're selling second hand clothing, but it also appears to be used certainly more than twice...

If I was buying, then I would stretch that extra £15 and go for the brand new one. That way you don't have to worry about the shoulder defect, or your DWR being knackered cause the seller washed it without thought. If they had washed it with techwash and re-proofer they would normally advertise this. It's also a nicer colour tbf.

moonpie11 20 Aug 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

I emailed them asking yesterday morning and haven't heard back. I think you're right about stretching that bit extra for the new one. I prefer the purple too, tend to prefer brighter colours but probably better getting the brand new one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...