UKC

Cleaning my rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 21 Jun 2018

My brand new 80m sport rope got really dirty in Kalymnos last year.

I've tried washing it several times in the bath tub, but it hasn't made much impact. Any tips/ideas on how I might get it a bit cleaner?

I know you can sometimes wash ropes in the washing machine but as it's a chunky 80m rope, I'm a bit worried it might damage my washing machine.

spenser 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

I've found that the Beal rope brush works pretty well if you put some pure soap flakes in the bath with some warm water. If you do that and there isn't a line of grey scum around the sides of the bath either your rope's really clean or you're doing it wrong!

deepsoup 21 Jun 2018
In reply to spenser:

I find the best way to get old-school soap flakes to dissolve is to stir them into a jug of boiling water, then chuck the solution in.  (When using the washing machine, the hot soapy water just goes straight into the drum before loading the washing in.)

Dandan 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

+1 for the rope brush, if it's the coiled spring type let it spread a little so it is nice and tight on the rope, then get a friend to help haul the rope through and it will remove loads of ingrained dirt. It's a proper workout though!

OP Elsier 21 Jun 2018
In reply to spenser:

This is going to be quite a lot of effort with an 80m rope, but thanks I'll try it!

nniff 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

This might sound silly, but you've already given it a bath so just be careful who you're throwing stones at.  But.....

if you have access to a field with some decent longish grass take it for a walk when there's a lot of dew on the ground or it's been raining.  As long as the ground is not muddy, the grass scrubs it all up quite well.  Snow if even better, but it's the wrong time of year.  Not good if the field you have in mind is frequented by geese, cows or dog walkers.

Bone Idle 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier Take it to the laundrette.... Method.... 1egg cup full of non bio washing liquid plus bath towels put on wool/silk wash and bobs your uncle.Or tread in the bath till skin falls of feet.

Fiona Reid 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

Get a dark coloured rope next time so you don't notice the dirt? 

Just kidding.  Ours got filthy in Kalymnos too. It's just a 70m but I chucked it in the machine (looping first so it didn't tangle) either with soap flakes or Nikwax tech wash (pretty sure it was Nikwax) and it came out pretty much clean.  I did run it through the rope brush first quickly the rope was dry.  70m is only about 500g lighter than 80m so hopefully the washing machine will be ok. If you're worried about the weight then a trip to laundrette might be a plan.

Post edited at 23:47
 mik82 21 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

I washed my 80m 9.5mm rope in the washing machine with no problems

You can avoid the difficulties with dissolving soap flakes by using Dri-Pak liquid laundry soap. This is also good for washing waterproofs and softshells.

OP Elsier 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Fiona Reid:

But I like a bright coloured rope

Also the main problem is actually that it's so black my hands get filthy everytime I've tried to use it since.

Have ordered a rope brush and soap flakes, so will try that first, and if that doesn't work might risk the washing machine as well.

krikoman 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

Soak it in water, then bung it in the washing machine small amount of washing powder, no need to loop it or owt else, it'll get a bit tangled but no more than on a day out, loop over the banister to dry.

Heike 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Elsier:

Ours also got massively dirty on its first use last year in Sardinia. Have washed it several times now (actually Brian did...) Somebody at a crag said to me that it might actually be the carabiner on the Click-up doing it rather than actual dirt. I am starting to wonder if he is right?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...