UKC

Clog Super 10 Screwgate - unable to undo fault?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 01 Nov 2012
Hi all,

Anyone know of, or had a problem with the latest Clog Super 10 screwgates?

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/products/clog-uk-only/super-11-osd-screwgate/

I have been using them for a few years with no bother, my friend bought one a while ago which has a different knurled screw as per the link above. Mine have a straight knurled barrel.

He bought two more last week and used them today and we couldn't undo them. Thankfully they had been on a larksfooted sling on this occassion and so we could retrive the sling until we got home and got the pliers out. Even then they were really, really tight.

It seems that they don't stop like the old ones do, and you can easily (I mean no effort/one handed) tighten them to a point where you can't undo them again.

It is certainly not his or my technique and I've never had the issue before.

Has anyone else heard of problems/had problems? They are going back for a refund/exchange tomorrow. Maybe it is a bad batch? Could have been a big problem/knife out job if we'd been hanging on a belay half way up a route.
 jkarran 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Did you do them up under load then try to undo them once unloaded by any chance?

jk
 zebidee 01 Nov 2012
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
>
> Did you do them up under load then try to undo them once unloaded by any chance?

Or screw them *all* the way up nice and tight?

jkarran 01 Nov 2012
In reply to zebidee:

In fairness I'd expect a screwgate done up tight to be equally tight when it comes to undoing it, not seized solid.

I find the nasty surprise usually comes when they've been loaded and jiggled with the nose down, the gate tightens itself then locks in place when the unloaded krab springs back into its normal shape.

jk
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: No, both used in normal use. No problems with the others, hence why I was wondering if it is a batch issue as these two were bought together.

Even now at home you can screw them up one handed (finger and thumb) and need pliers to undo them. That's not normal. Try as I might with my other carabiners none of them lock solid so I can't undoe them.

There is definiately something wrong with the carabiners. Just wanted to highlight the issue (try before you head out!) or see if it was a know problem/recall.
 NottsRich 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I've not had that problem with them, but I have noticed on mine (bought ~1yr ago) that you can screw them up to a 'stop' point, and then with very little force you can screw the gate further again. When you reverse it (undo it) you can feel the 'notch' as the barrel undoes. Never had them jam though, but to be fair I most commonly use them with my belay device so it's tightned and loosened with no load on the krab.
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2012
In reply to NottsRich: There doesn't feel like a notch on these.

This is happening without any load on them.

Will see what Cotswolds has to say tomorrow. Hopefully they'll replace them and send them back to Clog for analysis.
OP martinph78 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Cotswolds were good and swapped them. The others in store were tight but not locking shut so it may have just been a couple out of a batch.

Swapped them for DMM's instead though.

CurlyStevo 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
we use those for top roping southern sandstone and they work fine.
 Taurig 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I've got a couple of Clog HMS krabs with the same style of barrel and I have had a bit of trouble getting them undone a couple of times. Even when they don't jam they're not very smooth and need a bit of effort to get it past a sticking point. This is in comparsion to my DMM Alphas which are really smooth in comparison. Never thought of taking them back though.
 kbow265 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I know a couple of people had a similar problem problem with the HMS ones they were using with for their belay plates.
OP martinph78 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Quite a few people seem to have had problems, enough that we won't buy them anymore, which is a shame as I liked the way they handled.

Had zero problems with any of our other carabiners since and at least Cotswold agreed and changed them. Hopefully Clog will get them back and start investigating the problem.
michaelc 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Maybe send a mail to manufacturer? Can't do any harm and they might be interested to hear from you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...