UKC

Disposal of small camping gas cylinders - How do you do it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 09 Aug 2016
Hi

I moved recently and have a few small gas canisters (empty) which I'm trying to dispose of. I took them to recycling facilities in both Liverpool and Warrington, and both refused to take them, as they don't have the license.
I called both Cotswold and Go Outdoors, both of whom suggested the local recycling centers (see above).

In frustration, I tried colman, who referred me to local recycling centers, saying they should take them if they gave a gas cage (again see above)

I have called Liverpool council who put me in touch with a contractor who will take them for about £5 a go plus £30 collection fee! Warrington just don't take them at all.

Short of throwing them into a well known outdoor gear stockists camping display, how am I supposed to get shot of them (Ive not tried the EA yet). Im not sure landfill is right.

Neil Williams 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:
You mean the very small ones i.e. those used in backpacking stoves? Puncture them, fill with water to ensure the gas is out (do this in very open air!) and recycle as if they were food cans. You can get "can opener" type devices to do this more easily.

Or just chuck them in the bin, as I imagine the vast majority of people do. They don't contain, when empty, any more butane than a can of deodorant does as propellant.
Post edited at 09:28
 TMM 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/CrunchIt/

Remove remaining gas and recycle.
 rallymania 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

surely the only correct answer to this is find a secluded beach, light a fire, add canisters and retire to a safe (multiple tens of meters) distance?

once you find where the now properly empty cans have landed after their short flights, let them cool and then stick them in the recycling bin as advised above

(all the above is seriously at your own risk of arrest)
 GarethSL 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

Shoot them with an air rifle.

If Andy Cave has taught me anything, an air rifle is a must have for any aspiring climber!
OP kipper12 09 Aug 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

I would take ages, I cant hit a barn door with a banjo!
 galpinos 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

What are you shooting the banjo with? A cannon, a trebuchet?
Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

There will be some residual gas inside, possibly some of it still liquid if there's enough. I would connect them to the stove, burn off any excess then puncture the cans in several places and throw them in the recycling bin. What do people do with used household aerosols? It's exactly the same.
 wilkie14c 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

Put them in next doors recycling bin on bin day
 scaredandweak 09 Aug 2016
In reply to rallymania:

If you burn them in a garden incinerator bin thing, you don't even have to look for them afterwards!
 Hat Dude 09 Aug 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Put them in next doors recycling bin on bin day

Or in next doors garden incinerator
In reply to kipper12:

Take them to Birmingham where you can recycle them.
I don't know how serious the incinerate-them-yourself brigade is but people have died doing that.
Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

Have they? Really?
cb294 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:
Assuming you are talking about the standard primus type cartridges the standard procedure would be to let them fizzle out, then punch holes using a pocket knife or screw driver, wait a couple of days, and put them in any metal recycling bin.

CB

edit: If you want to put gas cyclinders into a fire, use the big acetylene ones used for welding rather than the puny backpacking stove canisters. My school was once evacuated when the building site next door caught fire and they did not get the cylinders out in time, resulting in some spectacular fireworks. The fire department also decided to stay clear. Good thing too, the cylinder that went furthest flew about 2 miles, landing inside the adjacent army base.
Post edited at 14:36
 marsbar 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I don't know about died, but I have seen nasty facial injuries when an aerosol ended up inadvertently in a camp fire when someone decided to burn the contents of the rubbish bin.
 andrewmc 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:
https://www.recyclenow.com/local-recycling?material=LQ500

Liquids and Chemicals, Gas Bottles, plug in your postcode. Double check with the centre first because when I went to the website for the first result it didn't list them on its website.

Also this:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/jetboil-crunchit-canister-recycling-tool-p26252...
Post edited at 16:26
cb294 09 Aug 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Seriously? 6 quid odd for a special tool that does nothing that any nail, pocket knife, screw driver, nut key, or tent peg couldn´t do just as well? Almost as bad as the special tick removal forceps!

CB
 johnwright 09 Aug 2016
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> I don't know how serious the incinerate-them-yourself brigade is but people have died doing that.

We used to put aerosols (not empty) in the rubbish where I worked years ago.The bin men didn't call at my place of work. One of the labourers used to take the rubbish to the bottom end of an ex WW2 runway and have a good fire. The best cans were "Easystart" used to get knackered diesel engines going on a cold morning. We could here the explosion a mile away, the when the labourer arrived back we could tell he wasn't happy as he jumped up and down and called us all the barstewards under the sun. Bloody good fun thou.
 krikoman 10 Aug 2016
In reply to johnwright:
> ....... The best cans were "Easystart" used to get knackered diesel engines going on a cold morning.

Release oil cans were always good, you got the black mushroom cloud to go with the explosion too.

It was like being the the trenches again!
Post edited at 08:53
 Steve27 10 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

If 6 quid is too much, how about a "stab can opener"; £1.45 on Amazon, 75p on Mahahome.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chef-Aid-Stab-Can-Opener/dp/B000TAOT62
Removed User 11 Aug 2016
In reply to kipper12:

When they are empty I put an axe through them and chuck them in the recycling bin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...