UKC

Fingerboard recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lordchoc 04 Oct 2012
I've only been climbing (indoor) for few months, but want to get a bit more strength in my fingers/arms and was thinking of installing a fingerboard at home. What's good for a someone of my level (I can just about get up a '5')? Thanks.
 antdav 04 Oct 2012
Boulder some more and look at finger boards in 6 months. Sounds a bit too soon on the tendons and you should be able to get up a lot of 6a's and b's without any finger strength but by using technique.
 phildavies84 04 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: Just climb as much as you can at the moment. General advice seems to be that you should have been climbing a few years before starting to fingerboard. You could get a pullup bar, but at this stage it probably more beneficial to climb a lot, watch other people climbing and develop technique. Strength isnt the only limiting factor.
 PeterJuggler 04 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: As others have said, it's better just to climb to begin with, but if you really want to train at home then I would go for the Beastmaker 1000. It has some jugs for doing pull-ups and is made of wood so doesn't destroy your skin. It's suitable for people climbing 5a and up.
lordchoc 04 Oct 2012
Thanks for all the advice. Good to see it's all roughly the same. Will hold off the fingerboard for now.
 Paul Crusher R 08 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: Getting yourself a pull up bar is good idea for sure, mix that up with some core.. sit ups, pressups, planks.. fingerboards are definately a good idea after a good few months in once your fingers are starting to develop strength. That said it depends on your age as well, much less than 16 and its worth holding off.. a bit of info here to read for some ideas for the future..

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/08/04/crusher-holds-handout-3-5mb/
matejn 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Paul R: To the mix of all this exercises I would add a kettlebell trainning as well. Kettlebells will develope your forearms, grip strenght ,endurance and explosiveness like nothing else. As far as fingerbord goes I´m using 3D Simulator from Metolius and it is grate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...