UKC

Hardshell trousers/salopettes for tall, slim mountaineers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've got to the stage that my current Goretex over-trousers are now totally trashed and need replaced. However, this time I am quite keen to buy some that actually fit rather than being slightly too baggy and slightly too short.

Unfortunately I'm 28" (72cm) waist and 33" (84cm) inside leg. Finding any hardshell trousers or salopettes suitable for sustained Scottish winter use that are less than £250 currently seems a forlorn hope.

Thus far I've only found 2 products that are likely to fit but both are well outside my price range as well as possibly rather hard to source. Arc'teryx only sell one pair in 'XS Tall', their Theta SV Bib RRP £380 and Mammut again just sell one pair in 'size 90', their Albaron Pants RRP £350.

Mountain Equipment, North Face and RAB don't make long leg lengths in any of their mountaineering trousers and in most cases don't even make them in an XS in the first place. Haglofos annoyingly do sell XS and differing leg lengths but apparently not at the same time.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
WaxiesDargle 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Ex-Royal Engineer?
In reply to WaxiesDargle:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer) Ex-Royal Engineer?

Not quite. There would be an 'Electrical and Mechanical' in there as well...

Captain Gear 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Eat more pies...

These guys do custom fit gore-tex sallopettes.

https://secure.beyondclothing.com/products/mens-waterproof/

These guys do custom fit paramo style bibs in a range of funky colours.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/perfect_fit/perfect_fit.html
In reply to Captain Gear: Cheers for the links. Still unfortunately looking at about £300
 Timmd 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

What happens if you wear gaiters with 'normal' trousers?
 Timmd 06 Dec 2012

Just trying to save you some money...
 crustypunkuk 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Paramo? My mate is a tall skinny fecker with long legs and that's all he can get to fit.
 Sharp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Berghaus do 28" waist and long leg.
 Denni 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Ex REME:

My mate bought a pair of Haglofs Spnix Q (ladies) trousers, size Large long leg from a well know auction site for £189.

Large equates to a 30 waist and a long, 33 leg. He is a 29 ish waist and he figured with a couple of layers he would be fine. He has hammered them in the Alps and loves them.

His are bright green but he doesn't care!
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer) Berghaus do 28" waist and long leg.

Many thanks for the heads up.

The closest they do seems to be their Men's Vernel Gore-tex Pro Mountaineering Trousers (RRP £250) in a 30"/34" which is definitely a good enough option to try to find and try on.

In reply to Denni: It is certainly something worth considering - I might also get something that isn't a boring black
 Denni 06 Dec 2012

This year I've gone for bright blue salopettes bought in a sale!
Make every mistake I make more noticeable :0)
Hope all is good.
WaxiesDargle 07 Dec 2012

Ah, Royal Engineers Made Easy

I was an Engineer for 5 years then joined the RAF. The REME lads were always a good laugh.
 johnrc 07 Dec 2012
I suffer the same problem but Im a 33 waist and 35 inch leg. I got given a pair of haglofs rando long pants for guiding last year. they are super long compared to any other brand i have tried and mine are large - 34 waist but i found these in long xs.
http://www.backpackingforever.de/catalog/product/view/id/64711?p=googleshop...

I know they are not hard shell but 2bh i find crampons and hardshells never last, and ive never needed them after having these.. super water resistant, warm, thigh zips, tough as anything.
The Scandinavian brands are the best shout because they generally size slim and tall thanks to demographic.. sadly their strong vs the £ right now. check Norrona out also.
In reply to johnrc: Cheers for that. I will need to look somewhere else as I am again running out of options after spending a fruitless afternoon in Snow and Rock in Bristol.

The following have now been officially dismissed as options:
RAB Latok - passable fit at waist and passable gaiter arrangement, but FAR too short.
Mountain Hardware Drystein - appalling gaiter arrangement and poor baggy fit.
Berghuas Vernal - loose at waist, baggy and another equally appalling gaiter design.

The only option I have investigated and haven't discounted is the Arc'teryx Theta SV. However, I've now had an email back from their head office confirming that no-one in the UK stocks XS Tall but retailers can special order it from the US. There is also the minor problem I can't actually afford them.
 Kelcat 09 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: try the montane terra XT salopettes. They are a slim fit anyway and the braces are very adjustable. They also do a long. Can be got at a very reasonable price if you're in MTA. Not hardshell, but fairly tough softshell with waterproof seat & knees.
 GarethSL 09 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: With regards to the Arc'teryx kit...

Contact these cats at the outdoor gear shop:
http://www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/Searchbymanufacturer_Info.html

They will special order anything if it is still available and won't take payment until it arrives, it will come from Rotterdam not the US, so takes less time too. You can always try and be cheeky and source a pair of older seasons models for cheap.
 Sharp 09 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: It looks like you're struggling to find anything suitable and if I was you I'd really begrudge spending £250 on something that isn't just right (tbh I'd begrudge that on any trouser but that's just me)

Why not have a look at some cheaper options, I'm sure berghaus do a reasonably tough and thick GTX performance shell pant for just over £100, you'd have to modify them a bit to sort the gaiter situation out but at least you wouldn't have to spend a fortune.

Or maybe forget the leg length and pick up a cheaper pair of 28" waist w/wproof trousers and extend the leg length yourself.
In reply to Kelcat:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer) try the montane terra XT salopettes. ... They also do a long.

Had previously looked at these. Have looked again but according to the website http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/legwear/terra-xt-salopettes they are available in regular leg length only.
In reply to johnrc:
> check Norrona out also.

Looks great kit but not sure if they do different leg lengths. Have emailed to ask about sizing.

jonnie3430 11 Dec 2012

I don't know how style concious you are, but I have been unable to buy decathlon trousers because they all seem made for the skinny and tall. I suggest you try there for some cheap tough stuff.
In reply to Sharp:
> It looks like you're struggling to find anything suitable and if I was you I'd really begrudge spending £250 on something that isn't just right

Yep, that about sums it up.

> (tbh I'd begrudge that on any trouser but that's just me)

I've had 9 years out of my current Arc'teryx Beta AR trousers so I don't begrudge it when I do get my moneys worth.

> Or maybe forget the leg length and pick up a cheaper pair of 28" waist w/wproof trousers and extend the leg length yourself.

I'd probably have to be the other way around - just find a cheapish pair that are long enough and put up with being a bit loose about the waist or having to wear braces.
 GarethSL 11 Dec 2012
> (In reply to johnrc)
> [...]
>
> Looks great kit but not sure if they do different leg lengths. Have emailed to ask about sizing.

Nahh, Norrøna are shite. Nice jacket cut but their trousers are all single leg lengths.Quality is pretty poor for the price.
 Tall Clare 11 Dec 2012

Another thought that might be of no use, but anyway - can you commission someone to make you some? I know there are people out there doing bespoke outdoor gear with properly sealed seams etc, and if you can source suitable fabric from the likes of Point North...
In reply to GrendeI: My problem is short leg (29/30) and I got a pair Arcteryx Theta Bibs in less than 24hrs from these "cats" would recommend giving them a shout. Non of the big retailers can be bothered with us non standard size people.
In reply to Tony Prendergast: Unless another option suddenly appears, it looks like I will just need to flog some more kit either on here or ebay and see if I can afford the Theta Bibs come January...
In reply to jonnie3430:
> I don't know how style concious you are, but I have been unable to buy decathlon trousers because they all seem made for the skinny and tall. I suggest you try there for some cheap tough stuff.

Decathlon look pretty good when it comes to getting some new softshell trousers (Forclaz 900 available in long leg for £39.99 or Bionnassy for £59.99) but they currently don't seem to have good hardshell options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...