UKC

Has gone got their Dragonfly cams yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 03 Jun 2019

I just pre-ordered the size 1 from Needlesport, seemed like a good complement to my Demon cam set to cover off smaller cracks (down to 7mm!)

In reply to springfall2008:

Spoke to V12 last week and no sign of them yet 😟

GHawksworth 03 Jun 2019
In reply to springfall2008:

They haven't been released to shops yet so I'd be very surprised if anyone has theirs yet.

TobyA 03 Jun 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

As much as I love virtually all the the DMM gear I own (Belaymaster krab excepted!) they do rather have form on this - often advertising and showing gear that either then doesn't appear for some years after it was first announced or never appears. Hope they get these out soon as they do look really good!

krikoman 03 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> As much as I love virtually all the the DMM gear I own (Belaymaster krab excepted!)

What's wrong with the belay master?

TobyA 03 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Faffy and heavier than other options. Becomes particularly annoying when wearing gloves. 

GHawksworth 03 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Faffy and heavier than other options.

That is the point of it after all

As for the form, I have to agree with you! I think the dragon 2's were the big exception to this!

They have, however released the phantom HMS which was announced at the same time as the dragonflies and it is purty!! Like the Petzl Attaché but welsh.

TobyA 03 Jun 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

> They have, however released the phantom HMS which was announced at the same time as the dragonflies and it is purty!! Like the Petzl Attaché but welsh.

I used a friend's Attache last week and (yes, I know its sad) thought: wow! That's a work of art in karabiner form. So I do like the idea of a Welsh one - presumably the Phantom HMS will have a slightly less healthy diet than the Attaché, but sing wonderfully when in groups?

lithos 03 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

i agree in parts but they have their uses and i'll have it of ya

ps attache (i have yellow versions) are great nly slight issue is the screwgate is quite light 

and can come loose quite easily.

krikoman 03 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Faffy and heavier than other options. Becomes particularly annoying when wearing gloves. 

I've always found it fine, I'm still on version 1 and the plastic bit sometimes came off but I fixed that with a tie-wrap.

I 'm currently using a Grivel Clepsydra K10G Twingate which I like, a lot.

I don't climb in gloves though, so maybe it's not an issue for me.

each to their own though.

TobyA 03 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I've got the original one too, although I've managed to not lose the plastic bit so far.

I accept they do what they are designed to do very well, but there it is just the extra opening and closing that just adds in extra faff and slows you down a bit particularly when doing multipitch routes. The glove thing is probably specific to winter climbing and they tend to make everything feel more faffy, but the belaymaster is more prone to freezing up because you have both the plastic bit and the screwgate.

These days I tend to use just an old bog standard round bar HMS when I'm not too bothered about weight, and this https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/locking-carabiners/hms-strike-slider-fg.ht... for when I'm packing light stuff for big days.

krikoman 03 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Nice one.

In reply to TobyA:

> These days I tend to use just an old bog standard round bar HMS when I'm not too bothered about weight, and this https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/locking-carabiners/hms-strike-slider-fg.ht... for when I'm packing light stuff for big days.

Nice device, I have the screwgate version of this belay crab and it's really good.

In reply to TobyA:

DMM Ceros Kiwklock is, for my money, the best belay specific krab on the market. Easy to open one handed but locks automatically, no dangerous sharp edges like the BD version if the internal wiregate fails, it clips into the right orientation if you forget to clip the captive eye into your belay loop, plus it has the rhino horn and all the lovely I-beamness of the Boa but round bar stock for the rope. Now THAT is a work of art.

GHawksworth 05 Jun 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

couldn't agree more! its just flawless for what it's designed for!

krikoman 06 Jun 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

£25!!

Grivel Clepsydra K10G Twingate £10 from Joe Browns

In reply to krikoman:

£25? I can see the Kwiklock version for £18 and the screwgate for £15. Considering the Grivel had an RRP of £17 and is 41% off in Joe Brown's I don't see how that's an accurate comparison?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...