UKC

Heel spurs/Bony bits!?!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droites 18 Jan 2013
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. I have spurs/boney lumps on the back of my heels. They only irritate/cause a lot of pain in my B3's. There is no heel lift, it is just a pressure point. Anybody had similar probs? Any solutions? Other than surgery!!!
Thanks
 Lucy Wallace 18 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:
I have the same, used to cause me huge problems but now no more. I think this is due to 3 things:

1. I walk so much these days my feet are made of leather and impervious to pain
2. I've found a size/brand of boots that fit me straight out of the box (this took some searching)
3. I was referred by the nhs to a podiatrist who fitted me with orthotic boot inserts to help my back/ankles/knees. Wouldn't say that they have worked in this respect but the bloody holes in the back of my heels have gone.
OP droites 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Snoweider: the boots fit great. Just have these boney bits sticking out. I already wear orthos. Really annoying! Going to try a donut of karrimat tomorrow and see how I get on. Grrr
 deepsoup 18 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:
I've had something like that apparently just pop up out of nowhere on my right foot. Can be quite painful after a while in climbing shoes. I've no solution to offer though I'm afraid, will be very interested if someone else has any suggestions.
 Pompey 18 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:

Hi, have you any other foot/leg problems? rom what i remember, heel spurs can be associated with plantar fascitis and gait pattern issues (the stiffness of B3's may exacerbate any gait problems), in which case a physio/podiatrist should be able to give you some stretching exercises to help. think you can get specific heel-spur orthotics and pads as well.
 ColdWill 19 Jan 2013
In reply to droites: I think I have similar problem, developed after wearing leather ski touring boots back in the day 20 years ago. I got massive blisters at the time and only realized some time later that these lumps on my heels weren't there before. Like a year later. Anyway, I have to tape up when boots are new but once they soften up they're usually ok. It's a particular problem with stiff climbing boots with good heel retention. Think I'm quite lucky and have got away with it as there slightly of set on the outside of the heel. Whatever you do you need to avoid making them worse so tape and break boots in gently and maybe compromise on the heel retention when climbing. Hope that helps

Si dH 19 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:
There are obviously several causes for this as I have it permanently, it is called Haglunds Deformity. Have you had it since birth or not? The main way it manifests itself with me is that I have always been vulnerable to achilles tendon problems, presumably because the tendon stretched over the bump. Climbing wise I find the most important thing is to avoid shoes with heels that curl in at the top (like the old pinks) or that pull in too much on the heel. Boot wise I have never had a major problem as long as im not out in my b3s too regularly (altho hardly ever these days!) I just used to try different types until I found a boot that worked, same as anyone else. It doesnt matter if the boots dont fit the back of your foot, as long as the rest of it fits well enough that the boot doesnt move up and down and rub a lot. Buy then fairly tight obviously. Nepal extremes work for me, thick socks.
 Lucy Wallace 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:
Interesting- Nepal Extremes are the worst imaginable for my heel spurs. Putting my feet in them when I tried them made me cry.
Currently wearing Mammut Mamooks. They are narrow so hold my foot well, but are a size larger than my other footwear, giving lots of room for my heel (and orthotics)

By the way, my heel spurs are no way as big as they used to be, which is odd as I thought they were permanent growths, but I guess that some of it was inflammation which has gone down now that they are no longer being irritated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...