UKC

Help me find a rock boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 12 Oct 2023

Long story short, after a severe ankle injury and surgery, on one foot my toes don't work, they are starting to curl up like claws and paradoxically I have no feeling in them, yet are agony when when squashed in my go-to sticky boot.
So normal rock shoes are out.
I bought some new Guide Tennies, and although very comfortable, they are really too stiff, no good for cracks, and the rubber is not that sticky. Various other approach shoes and boots have been tried to no avail, usually not that sticky.
I then dug out my ancient Guide Tennies from circa. 2003, and they were perfect! They are like an extremely comfortable slipper, soft uppers to be comfortable, very wide toe box, sticky enough for me, and can get my toes in cracks. In these I did my first proper climb for several years.
Problem is the uppers are trashed and the soles are wearing thin, they won't last long. One of those products I'd wish I'd bought several of before they disappeared.
Is there anything around that comes close to these criteria?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post edited at 10:32
 AlanLittle 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Fredt:

They’re nothing like an approach shoe, but Scarpa Veloces are wide, comfy & soft

Myfyr Tomos 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Fredt:

See if you can buy or scrounge  an old pair with salvageable leather from somewhere.  I had a pair of very ancient Guide Tennies with reasonable uppers resoled by Cheshire Shoe Repairs last year. They did a brilliant job. https://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/approach-shoe-resoles-repairs/    I treated the uppers with a leather rejuvenating cream, added new laces and they are as good as new. They perform wonderfully on rock but as lethal as ever on grass!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...