UKC

How do I fix a hole in my Down Jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robin mueller 25 Jun 2005
So I ripped my down jacket on some barbed wire. It's only a small rip, but what's the best way to fix it? Sew it up, or some sort of patch?
shurug 25 Jun 2005
In reply to robin mueller:

Both...belt an braces man me!!
adamtc 25 Jun 2005
In reply to shurug: You could try nail varnish on the edges.. will stop the tear getting any worse. Clear stick on repair tape from a seamstress type shop will stop the down escaping.
Alternatively... my missus fixed a hole in her Helly with gaffer tape and its still going strong months later.

Gafftape for short term fix, otherwise:
- Seamseal for small holes/tears
- sewing/patching for bigger ones
 Scranner 25 Jun 2005
Did the same to my brand new duvet jacket - gaffer tape lasts for ever, it seems. The longer you leave it the better it gets (it must 'cure', or something).
epik 25 Jun 2005

gaffa tape! it works and you'll look like a proper climber
 IainMunro 25 Jun 2005

I'd personally stitch it up if it isnt too big a hole. Duct tape is good but not breathable so the down will end up getting wet.

Iain
wcdave 25 Jun 2005
In reply to robin mueller: Ronseal 'Down Jacket Hole fixer' should do it.
matt cartney 25 Jun 2005
If you stitch it up you'll still need to put gaffa or tent repair tape over it or the down will come through the stitch holes. (probably)
matt
epik 25 Jun 2005
In reply to IainMunro:
> Duct tape is good but not breathable so the down will end up getting wet.

i dont think one little peice of gaffa is going to effect the jackets breathability that much unless he is intending covering the whole jacket
Liathac 25 Jun 2005
In reply to epik: Im with epik, been fine on mine, since it went up in flames in the chinese in rjukan norway, frigging tea lights on the damn bar!
 marie 25 Jun 2005
In reply to wcdave:
> (In reply to robin mueller) Ronseal 'Down Jacket Hole fixer' should do it.

Aye, does what it says on the tin...
 marie 25 Jun 2005
In reply to Liathac:
> (In reply to epik) Im with epik, been fine on mine, since it went up in flames in the chinese in rjukan norway, frigging tea lights on the damn bar!

Anyone would think your eyes are there just to make you look pretty...

Liathac 25 Jun 2005
In reply to marie: youve obviousley looked into them, you will have to excuse me Im on the old vino.

I was tired, it was late, I had had a few.
 Bruce Hooker 27 Jun 2005

You can buy special self-adhesive nylon that is designed to repair... duvets. Simple really!

When you do it a bit of pressure with a cool iron will make the patch pretty well permanent. Last time I bought some I could only find black but I've seen different colours in the past. I've even repaired a rucksac with it and it's holding for the moment - a bit thin really though.
Hotbad Peteel 27 Jun 2005

spinnaker repair tape. Yo ucan get the same stuff in b+q. Looks like ripstop nylon and yo can get the right colour. Maybe go round the edge with superglue so it doesn't peel off. Otherwise gaffa tapes makes you look like a proper climber
p
 Jenny C 27 Jun 2005
Gaffa tape is probably the most popular repair kit.
Personally though I'd send mine back to Rab who will do repairs for a small fee and do make a good job of them.
 JimmAwelon 27 Jun 2005
In reply to robin mueller: I did a good repair job by super glueing 500D rucsac patch material that Lowe Alpine used to sell with all their sacs across a pleothora of holes on mine a few months ago. The patch material clould be any sort of fabric really somethig cut off the side of any old sac or bag would do. Just thumb the down away from the site of the hole until the superglue has dried.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...