UKC

Mountineering Gaiter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 06 Mar 2020

Hi all,

I'm looking for good mountineering gaiters

I had been give a pair of goretex mountain xc gaiters but these were a horrible deisgn and were much more trouble than they where worth. Winter mountineering with them in scotland was a nightmare.

Anywas I'm lookinng for replacments.

I like the look of the berghaus yeti as they look bombproof but they seem like too much a faff to put on. It seems like they'd only be usable if you set off with them from the get go otherwise they'd be a pain to put on the mountain.

I was wondeting if people had any suggestions!

Cheers

Basemetal 06 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Army surplus Goretex Cordura gaiters are pretty tough and close fitting with a cable for under the instep and neoprene belting to buckle. Rear entry with tough zip, velcro weather flap, draw cord and two pop-studs. Not as heavy as they sound but crampon-proof and good in deep snow. Only draw back is the DPM colour scheme. You can usually find them A1 or new for < £20

tehmarks 07 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

OR Crocodile/Crocodile Expedition seem to get good reviews from everyone who has used them - though as a caveat, I'm not one of those people. Though when I finally do decide I need a pair of gaiters, that's what they will be.

DaveHK 07 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

> I like the look of the berghaus yeti as they look bombproof but they seem like too much a faff to put on. It seems like they'd only be usable if you set off with them from the get go otherwise they'd be a pain to put on the mountain.

Yeti type gaiters are great but superfluous on some modern boots with the built in gaiters. 

If you have a pair of winter only boots then just glue them on and be done with it. I've done this for about 15 years and find it works splendidly, can't understand why it was never more popular. Not sure why you'd want to take them off and put them on on the hill anyway?

Post edited at 00:15
OP glenn0010 07 Mar 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I was mainly saying, if you leave without the gaiter on nd then you wind out that you need them on the hill. It would be a mssive pain to put on

DaveHK 07 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

If you've glued them on you can't leave without them on!

Doug 07 Mar 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

When I moved last summer I found an old pair of Koflach  plastic boots complete with yeti gaiters. I think the gaiters had been on the boots for about 30 years.

OP glenn0010 07 Mar 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

True, I was thinking to not glue them on 😅 Though I guess for winter boots it wpuld be ok

DaveHK 07 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Aye, if you want to use the boots outwith winter or in the alps glueing them on isn't great but then they don't really stay on very well without glue. 

GerM 07 Mar 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

To try to answer the original question, I have a pair of OR Crocodile Gaiters and they work.

In reply to glenn0010:

Have you considered trousers with built in gaiters?  I much prefer these to standard gaiters especially for alpine conditions.  The only time I would wear traditional gaiters would be for walking across boggy moors.

Al

David Myatt 07 Mar 2020
In reply to GerM:

I like my OR crocodiles too.

David

PPP 07 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I love mine Montane Endurance Pro gaiters. They are pricier, but they seem to breathe well and fit better than others. I hate any baggy legwear, which seems to be common in quite few outdoor brands.

I had few crampon holes on an old pair and I didn't hesitate to buy another pair and keep old ones as a spare pair. 

leon 1 07 Mar 2020
In reply to leon 1: Im a Bigfoot and just noticed that price is for the XL only Sorry people with normal sized feet

Post edited at 11:46
OP glenn0010 08 Mar 2020
In reply to leon 1:

I've found the rab latok extreme for 25£ on sport pursiut, i decided to go for them!

Jp 08 Mar 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I'm really happy with my Black Diamond Front Points. I bought them in November and have taken them to Scotland, Wales and the Lakes for lower grade, long mountaineering days. They've held up really well. They're light, waterproof and trim, which helps avoid crampon snagging.

I'm expecting the instep strap to go at some point: I can see it being cut by a sharp rock. But they are geared to be worn above crampons, so this shouldn't really be a problem, if I use them properly. Hope this helps. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...