UKC

New axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterM 05 Nov 2019

Hi,

Thinking of getting a pair of lightweight axes that would hopefully do up to V, winter walking and some alpine stuff - currently looking at Petzl Sum'tec or Grivel Light Machines. Has anyone any experience of either? Other than what looks like a better hand grip on the Light Machines and the Sum'Tecs are 100g lighter, they seem to be not bad choices. Currently got a pair of very old Vertiges (with the worlds best adze!) and slightly less old pair of BD Rages.

Cheers,

Peter

vscott 05 Nov 2019
In reply to PeterM:

Petzl quarks are same weight if not bit lighter than the grivels, and better set up for climbing than sum'tec (guard etc can be removed for easier stuff).

rif 05 Nov 2019
In reply to PeterM:

I have a pair of the mk 1 Sum'tecs and have found them great for Scottish gullies at grades I to easy IV. The picks penetrate ice well (despite low tool weight) but aren't rated for mixed.   

OP PeterM 08 Nov 2019

Cheers for the replies. 

The Quarks always seemed a bit overkill. The new Sum'tecs have mixed picks I believe, but I had better check that.

Post edited at 13:57
In reply to PeterM:

I’ve got the Light Machines (which aren’t that light) and the new Quarks. Not used the sumtecs but they look good. I’d probably get the Quarks instead as they’re a better all rounder/will climb better. 

That said the Grivels climb well and are more robustly made than Petzl tools. If you want your new tools to last as long as your Rages/vertiges I’d go for them. 

Basemetal 08 Nov 2019
In reply to PeterM:

V might be a push, but Singing Rock Edge are T rated and light at 550g. I have a pair and rate them for  general clambering and up to IV. The shafts will take Petzl Griprests when the grip tape is removed from the handle, putting them in budget sumtec territory. The picks are thinner, cheaper (£10 replacement) and T rated. 

I can email pics, but don't know how to post them (not selling, just showing with the grip rests in place )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...