UKC

Petzl torches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Oct 2005
I'm thinking of replaceing my Zooms and would like to know if anybody has used the Myo XP?

Is it good for walking around the hillside at night?

I have used a Tikka comming off Helvellyn in the winter but I would rather not try it again as it did not give as much light as a zoom.
 nz Cragrat 08 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:

Check out the BD ones...
In reply to The Lemming: Just bought a Tikka XP and that is ok. Much better light than a Tikka and good biuld quality. But I'm much more likely to use it for walking to the car from the crag than in the mountains. The Myo XP is about 50% more powerful (3x as powerful as a Tikka) so should be pretty good in the hills.

Hope that helps.
OP The Lemming 08 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:

I am very pleased with my tikka however I would prefere not to use it on the hillside, especially in icy conditions.

Have you had the opportunity to try a MYO XP yet?
 nz Cragrat 08 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:

I have had a look at one and my first impression was that it would be hard to operate with gloves on. Will stick to Black Diamond.
In reply to The Lemming: Not used the Myo but The Tikka XP would by ok in the hills and the Myo has that extra power so should be a good bet.
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Think I will have it on my christmas prezzy list.

Cheers Every body
vim_meister 08 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming: im thinkin of buying the myolite although stormlite 7 led tourch looks reasonably priced also, any opinions on these
In reply to vim_meister:
> (In reply to The Lemming) im thinkin of buying the myolite although stormlite 7 led tourch looks reasonably priced also, any opinions on these

That one only appears to have 3 1/2 hour burn time

How about this one?

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?MotRecherche=Quick+Search&pay...
 IPPurewater 08 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming: Have a look at the Alpkit website. They do 4 led head torches at a very good price 1
 Dee 08 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming: Used the Myo XP in the Ecrins this summer. Brilliant piece of kit, wouldn't have a problem using it in winter. Have used a Zoom Arctic in winter with both halogen and tungsten bulbs; IMHO, the Myo XP falls between the two in terms of usable light, but has the advantage of far-longer battery life.

Used it in Alberta, Canada when moving round campsites at night, gave a nice sense of security when I realised that the wildlife could be picked out at safe distance....
vim_meister 08 Oct 2005
In reply to Dee: need it for climbin aconcagua,
 Dee 08 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: Don't know 'bout Aconcagua but....have a look at the self-taken pic of JC Lafaille on p95 of 'Alpinist 11'. He's using one on his solo ascent of the British Route on the SW Face of Shishapangma.

Timmd 09 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:I liked my Mayo 3,but it developed a dodgy contact,and i took it appart to work out why and the wires arn't soldered in,there's two little metal gaps a cm appart at each point where a wire goes to and the wire is put across the two metal gaps and pressed downwards,and it looks like the gaps are narrow enough to cut through the insulation and make a contact,and that's how they did it,or they might have used something sharp,but either way a wire worked loose inside the bulb housing so that when you tweaked the wire it stayed on for a bit and then stopped working untill you tweaked it again,which i didn't think seemed very good. I don't know what anybody else's experiances are though.
Cheers
Tim
 Dave B 10 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes Myo XP is brilliant.

IainM 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Timmd: Ive not had a problem with my Myo3 but a friend I was with in the Alps seems to have had the same problem as you describe Timmd. We tried to pull it appart but with only a spartha at hand this proved beyond us at the time.
 Dave B 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Dave B:

To follow up my short post. USed by g/f on ace race night exercise. Best illumination of the lot of ours - Old Zoom, Myo5 and BD Gemini.

The flip up/down diffuser works well and the brighness level is good enough to run by on uneven ground without her falling over. Light and comfy on the head.

Your mileage may vary.

djb
 g taylor 11 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:
The Myo XP is very good.

The beam is quite bright and the boost function is useful for "spotting" things.

I've had two as I managed to lose my first! Two things to bear in mind...

1, The unit is not fully waterproof as it has a small hole to let heat from the LED dissipate. (probably not an issue unless to intend to go caving with it)

2, Put new batteries in it before you rely on it as mine decided to start turning itself off whilst front pointing with 2000ft between my legs (had recently put in new batteries and only used it to get in tent for a few nights beforehand!)
 Jiffy 12 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:

I've got a Myo5 and a MyoXP. They're both excellent but the MyoXP has won my heart! The flip up diffuser is excellent and the one LED gives a brighter light than the 5 on the Myo5 so I prefer it for normal walking. The halogen on the Myo5 has it beat but that's power hungry.

The battery life figures are very impressive and mines is going strong on some Nimhs. Stick some lithiums in and it'd be an ideal choice for serious expedition useage.
OP The Lemming 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Jiffy:
> (In reply to The Lemming)

> The battery life figures are very impressive and mines is going strong on some Nimhs. Stick some lithiums in and it'd be an ideal choice for serious expedition useage.

Can you get lithium AA bateries?

Thanks for the advice
samperks 12 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming: snow + rock sell them
£6.99 for two!
OP The Lemming 12 Oct 2005
In reply to samperks:

I was hoping for re-chargible batteries.

Have you seen this though?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_i...
 Jiffy 12 Oct 2005
In reply to The Lemming:

Energiser Lithium AAs & AAAs are for sale in Argos!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...