UKC

Please suggest a climbing pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dopey_172 22 May 2010
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a climbing pack for general cragging and also hopefully some longer mountain routes. I would like to hear from you guys about what packs you like or dislike. I am looking at under £100 preferably but that can always change, if the wife lets me spend a bit more.

I like the look of the Osprey Mutant 38 but have yet to find a shop that will let me try it on fully loaded in the shop to see how it feels. I have also looked at the Berghaus Arete 45 but mainly because its quite cheap.

Cheers for any help

Dom
 JoshOvki 22 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172:

I love my mutant, I find it really comfortable even when loaded. If you can get to a Cotswold Outdoors and ask them they are usually okay about it. I know if someone came down to the store I work in, in Cardiff it wouldn't be an issue.

Of course you might get an arsey staff member.
 ChrisHolloway1 22 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172: +1 on the mutant, brilliant pack!
 Paul Troon 22 May 2010
In reply to JoshOvki:
> (In reply to Dopey_172)
>
> I love my mutant, I find it really comfortable even when loaded. If you can get to a Cotswold Outdoors and ask them they are usually okay about it. I know if someone came down to the store I work in, in Cardiff it wouldn't be an issue.
>
> Of course you might get an arsey staff member.

I got mine from Ellis Brigham they where all priced different, however a great sack

Paul
 JoshOvki 22 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172:

Has anyone modified the gear loops on it at all?
 ciaran1999 22 May 2010
In reply to trueuk1:

Have had one of these for 2 years now, absolutely fantastic! plain simple light and bombproof, and only 50 quid!
 karinh 22 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172: I got the berghaus arete last winter, it not bad for the price but when heavily loaded it does give me bruises either on a hipbone or collar bone depending on how I've got the straps adjusted, it doesnt have much padding. All the climbing specific features work a treat though, gear loops are handy and so is the strap over the top that holds a rope more securely than just laying it under the lid.
 TobyA 23 May 2010
In reply to ciaran1999:

> Have had one of these for 2 years now, absolutely fantastic! plain simple light and bombproof, and only 50 quid!

That really does look a bargain doesn't it? And if it really only weighs a 1 kg as lowe says http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=9&itemid=312&t... it sounds perfect for using on routes. And to the OP; you could then spend your other 50 quid on guide books to dream of alpine or Scottish routes you want to do!

It's funny someone linked to something by Lowe yesterday and I was thinking they seem to have gone quite quiet in recent years. You don't see their adverts so much these days do you? But it looks like they are still making some good stuff.
 PMG 23 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172: Deuter Guide 35+ is good, multipurpose, no nonsense pack.
 MRJ 23 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172:

Cilogear, if you can get your hands on one, make what I reckon are just the best rucksacks on the market. I have an old V1 60l and 30l, and a new V4 45l. The V4's fixed all the old problems the earlier models had and are just awesome.
 Nigel Modern 23 May 2010
In reply to Dopey_172: I like my Mammut 35L and the little 28L 'Flight' I also use.

If bivvying you usually need to hang things off a 35L, which is why some prefer a 45L sac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...