UKC

Product replacement / refund advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber_Bill 13 Sep 2023

Hi,

If a product was purchased from a retailer in the UK, with a UK website and office, but the company is based in Europe what is the situation regarding replacement or refund if the goods are faulty?

Thanks for any advice.

CB.

DamonRoberts 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

If you bought from a UK registered company, then they're held to UK law, specifically the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. Somewhere on their website they should have a company registration number if this is the case, or you should be able to find them on companies house. 

If you bought direct from the EU, they'd be held to current EU law, which states a minimum 2 year warranty period. 

In either case you need to deal with whoever sold you the product. 

Post edited at 11:44
 Jenny C 13 Sep 2023

If you bought from a UK retailer, that is who your contact us with and who should handle your warranty claim - regardless of where the product was manufactured or the brand is based.

OP Climber_Bill 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Damon and Jenny C:

Thanks for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

Yes, the retailer is UK based, but the brand is in Europe, so any discussions should be with the UK retailer.

Thanks again.

CB.

> so any discussions should be with the UK retailer.

Not just the retailer though, if you wish/have problems.

An alternative, if applicable depending on payment method, is to contact your credit card company, bank (debit card), HP/loan company, or whoever was deemed part of the contract to resolve or help to resolve. This is open to you (assuming you didn’t just pay in cash), at any stage of discussions and more so if there are problems dealing with the retailer.

Also, don’t discount the manufacturer if there are problems dealing with the retailer as they may wish, even goodwill reasons, to deal with whatever is wrong/faulty. An example was where I bought a jacket from a well known UK gear retailer who, when a fault appeared, insisted that I hadn’t bought from them (despite the clear evidence I had) so wouldn’t deal with a warranty issue. Easier route for me was to speak to the manufacturer and they dealt with it direct, and very quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...