UKC

Rab Valiance Down Jacket - how waterproof?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 14 Dec 2020

Has anyone used this jacket? I’m looking for a bigger down jacket for over the winter, but having got a puppy recently I think wet walks & training are more likely than crisp days bouldering. As such I wondered whether the waterproof offering from Rab would be better than doubling up layers.

I’d be interested to hear how people have found it’s waterproofness, compared to say a normal gortex shell. 

Any thoughts would be welcomed! I also thought maybe a cheap big yellow thing might be better for dog things, but I’ve vouchers burning a hole in my pocket...

MischaHY 14 Dec 2020
In reply to James Malloch:

Pertex shield has a hydrostatic head of around 10,000mm IIRC. It's certainly much better than a regular down jacket and 'waterproof' although I'd prefer to avoid 8hrs in the pouring rain. 

mrmann007 14 Dec 2020

Best jacket I have ever bought. I wear mine all the time, it's seriously warm and does keep you dry. My flatmate and my dad have also purchased one since I have had mine. 

Iamgregp 14 Dec 2020

I just got one a few weeks ago and am super impressed with it.  Unfortunately I can't get my dog to leave the house when it's proper chucking it down so I haven't been in a total downpour yet, but I'm really impressed with it so far.  Seems pretty waterproof and is super warm.  Miles ahead of my old Patagonia puffy for warmth and windproofness....

OP James Malloch 14 Dec 2020

Thanks for the replies - sounds good to me! A bit annoying as I went in and the type I was after (a lot of fill but not waterproof) were all discounted. Then I noticed this which was double the price but probably more sensible...

I’ll pop in and get one tomorrow!

mrmann007 14 Dec 2020

The important question is, which colour?

Root1 15 Dec 2020

Check out the Mtn Equipment xeros and Kyros.

Post edited at 13:13
 GHawksworth 15 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

It's 20,000mm. Pretty great stuff!

MischaHY 16 Dec 2020
In reply to GHawksworth:

Where did you get the spec from out of curiousity? I couldn't seem to find it. 

GHawksworth 16 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

A pdf on pertex materials by Rab (on their business to business website).

Retailers have access to info PDFs and training resources from most brands.

The reeaaally interesting one is how much more abrasion resistant a dry treated rope is than a standard version!

OP James Malloch 16 Dec 2020
In reply to mrmann007:

> The important question is, which colour?

Oxblood Red

Mud will blend in the most when I inevitably carry the dog when it's cold and he can't be bothered!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...