UKC

Removing old teancious tape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JRJones 17 Oct 2023

Anyone tried this?

About 5 years ago I patched my down jacket with some tenacious tape. It's held up fine but the tape has now started cracking and feathers are leaking through. I could throw another patch on top of the cracked tape, but that feels messy.

Anyone had any success removing this stuff? Solvents? Heat? Not sure how the down would get on with that.

Moacs 17 Oct 2023
In reply to JRJones:

Acetone (nail varnish remover).  Try a little dab first to make sure it isn't going to melt the fabric

jonny taylor 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Moacs:

I’d be amazed if acetone *didn’t* melt the fabric. It’s pretty good at dissolving anything plastic-based 

CantClimbTom 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JRJones:

If the existing patch is tiny. Super sharp scissors and snip round it then add a bigger sewn on patch. If this is at a baffle or seam or it's bigger than tiny, this approach won't work.

Maybe a professional could repair it, and add a bit more filling into key areas of the jacket at the same time to plump it up a bit and extend the overall life?

Bezz 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JRJones:

I had the same problem with some second hand gore tex trousers I'd bought on eBay. Apply a bit of heat to the old patch with a hair dryer and try to pry up the corners of the patch with a pin and pull it away with tweezers - just make sure you support the fabric when pulling to avoid ripping it further. My repairs came out better than the original repairs

In reply to jonny taylor:

Acetone won't bother nylon or polyester (see LSRH's link).

Nail varnish remover is mostly water. It's a pretty crap solvent for cleaning glues... I prefer lighter fluid.

OP JRJones 19 Oct 2023
In reply to JRJones:

Thanks for all the replies! I had a go at it with some acetone this evening and managed to get it off. It was still a huge pain because the tape was so cracked, it would only come off in tiny flakes. Had to resort to tweezers for the bits near the rip. Anyway, jacket looks okay and I'll put a new patch on it tomorrow.

Maximusf 20 Oct 2023
In reply to JRJones:

Depending on the patch size I would look into storm sure repair glue, just a dot on the rip. Much better than Tenacious tape and avoids the problem you've just had and works better through the wash and doesn't peel off.

Post edited at 12:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...