UKC

REVIEW: Scarpa Golden Gate Kima RT - brilliant, apart from the bad bits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 24 May 2023

A mountain running shoe with a carbon plate - an idea that's crossed over from road running - the Kima RT is designed to reduce fatigue over long distances. Rob Greenwood felt the benefit, but then ran into some big issues. If these can be resolved, he says, then Scarpa may have really hit on something.  

Read more

Arms Cliff 24 May 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

£4/mile does seem pretty steep 😂

steveriley 24 May 2023

Oof, I'll them a miss thanks Scarpa (and I speak as someone with 5 pairs of Scarpa rock shoes on rotation). 50 miles would get you round a longish training run and the Kima itself. Customer or beta tester? Shame.

Dark-Cloud 24 May 2023

A hard overlay against mesh just scissors the mesh on the flex point, see so many shoes that have this obvious flaw, probably fine on trails but do a lot of up hill in the Lakes or Peak and this is the result, not just limited to Scarpa unfortunatley

petegunn 25 May 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Totally agree on this,, I'm a great fan of the Sportiva mutants but for the holes that always appear at flex point long before the tread wears out

I've had the Scapra Spin Ultras and though I may have got a few more miles in them the same thing has happened to these as well.

Post edited at 21:27
 Tom Briggs 25 May 2023

Oof. Sounds like I dodged a bullet. I sold my pair as they were a touch too small and gave me blisters across the toes. I didn’t like the stiffness either and they felt tippy to me on rocky trails. I replaced them with the Hoka Tecton X which also has a carbon plate but feels a lot more flexible. I mainly use them on non technical trails and after 500Km I’m not convinced that a carbon plate does much in a trail shoe (apart from increase the price tag).

Why have Scarpa not nailed trail shoes yet given their climbing shoes and mountain boots are so incredibly good and durable? 

Hoka seem to make brilliant uppers that never split or wear out (the Matryx fabric is really durable) but annoyingly their midsoles don’t last.

Post edited at 22:40
 wbo2 26 May 2023
In reply to Tom Briggs: Everyone makes a dog - Hoka Challengers 2 and 3 fell to pieces very quickly, I had a pair that had holes in the upper after a 100 miles before some lugs on the outer sole fell off. The mids lasted ages tho'.

I've had 2 Ribelle Runs for a year or so now, and the upper on those is really good, ditto the mid but the outsole went a few months ago.

Don't mention Altra Or some Inov8's apparently

Dark-Cloud 26 May 2023
In reply to petegunn:

I think a lot of it has to do with gait and running style too, my Mutants soles usually go before the upper!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...