UKC

Seal skins socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 17 Nov 2013
First used them today.

Wow .

Really comfortable and did what they said on the tin.

As usual ,takes me ages to get round to buying these bits of gear.

No blisters today either.
In reply to andymac:

See what happens next time. I am about to take my 5th pair back.
In reply to andymac:

For 3-season use I only wear mine when my boots are wet through, only in sub-zero winter weather do I wear them continuously through the day. They seem to work well and last that way.
Removed User 17 Nov 2013
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

I've got a couple of pairs. The fact I bought a second pair tells me that I was fairly pleased with the first.

Yes, I do think they start to leak after a few runs but they're still effective in keeping your feet reasonably dry and most importantly, warm. A bit like wearing leather boots. You don't expect them to be 100& waterproof but they do limit water ingress to a point where water that gets in does stay warm.

andymac 17 Nov 2013

We're they leaking?

Fall apart?
andymac 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: my feet were wet at the bottom of the mountain .

But I shall not pass judgement quite yet ,as I happened to go arse over tit ,several times on my descent .

Once crossing a stream.

Got them over a radiator atm.

Is this best ,or the cool tumble dry option
andymac 17 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:

Sorry ,must improve punctuation .

Forgot the ? mark
In reply to andymac:

Leaking. 3 pairs leaked on first day out

2 pairs lasted a couple of goes each
Removed User 17 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:

I treat them just like my walking socks. That means I dry them gently and wash them on the delicates cycles.

As far as I know they're just two sets of normal socks, one outside the other, with a waterproof membrane in between.
In reply to andymac:
> Really comfortable and did what they said on the tin.

You'll soon learn .
Great though when you have warm and wet feet though as opposed to wet and cold feet!
They still have their place even if they do not seem to last very long!
You may still be saying wow but for different reasons than your first outing .
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
And I would suggest treating them delicately!
 TobyA 17 Nov 2013
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: I thought mine are leaking - totally soaking inside after a recent rainy wet MTB ride. SO when I got home I dried them then turned them inside out and filled them water. No leaking observed.

I figured it must have just been rain and splash running down my legs of my bibs and into the socks.

Did you try yours in a similar way?
 thedatastream 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserGwilymstarks)
>
> I've got a couple of pairs. The fact I bought a second pair tells me that I was fairly pleased with the first.
>
> Yes, I do think they start to leak after a few runs but they're still effective in keeping your feet reasonably dry and most importantly, warm. A bit like wearing leather boots. You don't expect them to be 100& waterproof but they do limit water ingress to a point where water that gets in does stay warm.

All of this mirrors my experience with them too. Great for boggy winter fell running
 xplorer 17 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Had the same thing happen to me.

I've filled a pair with water no leaks even after half an hour. Then pumped air into them tied the tops and still no leaks.

I think a lot of the moisture is sweat, they don't seem to breath very well. But feet do sweet a hell of a lot, and boots aren't normally that breathable as well.

xplorer 17 Nov 2013

I'd get a refund if I was you. I don't think it's water penetrating them. Probably sweat build up.

If water is entering through the toes, give your nails a cut
andymac 17 Nov 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Sweat making them wet would be my conclusion too.

My requirement from the seal skins ,is that in next 3 months or so ,my feet stay reasonably warm.

Warm and wet > Cold and wet.
 Camm 17 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:
I sometimes carry my sealskinz to change into incase my boots get wet, you really feel the benifit when you change from sopping wet socks to seal skinz, your boots magically feel dry again.
 Camm 17 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:
They also make good hut slippers, mine have been given some abuse but they still do the job.
In reply to xplorer:

Lol. Thanks for assuming I am an idiot.

I know the difference between sweat and water thanks.
 xplorer 18 Nov 2013

Sorry.

But I disagree. Have you tried filling them with water?

Where are you walking, that your feet are getting so wet?

I think I will be proven correct, and I want you to eat your socks if I am correct.
In reply to xplorer:

You can disagree all you like and I can't believe I am even bothering to explain to you as you cleary think you know all the answers.

This last pair, when I finished my day on the hill, I could poor the water out. And no, it did not come over the top of the boot, I was not in a river.

When I filled them with water it comes through the bottom in minutes.

They have now gone back as they are not waterproof. The other pairs have not bee so bad.

galpinos 20 Nov 2013

I had the same experience but running. After 4hrs my feet were soaked. Washed and dried them, as per all my "technical kit", and they sounded quite crinkly. Filled them with water and it just poured through. Same as you the soles seemed to have gone. In retrospect, the sole is a pretty high wear area I doubt any waterproof membrane could cope with the amount of wear it would see. Got them replaced but have yet to try the replacements in anger. Seems expensive for a "one use" solution!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...